[is it a style or a mistake?] Numbers Station Radio (mp3 online)

Started by uncloned, November 22, 2010, 11:59:46

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://micro.soonlabel.com/17-ET/axis-albino2-numbers-radio-broadcast.mp3

online listen
http://notonlymusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=699&p=4183#p4183

Numbers stations (or number stations) are shortwave radio stations of uncertain origin. They generally broadcast artificially generated voices reading streams of numbers, words, letters (sometimes using a spelling alphabet), tunes or Morse code. They are in a wide variety of languages and the voices are usually female, though sometimes male or children's voices are used.

Evidence supports popular assumptions that the broadcasts are used to send messages to spies. This usage has not been publicly acknowledged by any government that may operate a numbers station, but in 2001, the United States tried the Cuban Five for spying for Cuba. The group had received and decoded messages that had been broadcast from a Cuban numbers station.[1] Also in 2001, Ana Belen Montes, a senior US Defense Intelligence Agency analyst, was arrested and charged with espionage. The federal prosecutors stated: "Montes communicated with the Cuban Intelligence Service through encrypted messages and received her instructions through encrypted shortwave transmissions from Cuba". In 2006, Carlos Alvarez and his wife, Elsa, were arrested and charged with espionage. The U.S. District Court Florida stated: "defendants would receive assignments via shortwave radio transmissions". In June 2009, the United States similarly charged Walter Kendall Myers with conspiracy to spy for Cuba and receiving and decoding messages broadcast from a numbers station operated by the Cuban Intelligence Service to further that conspiracy.[2][3]

It has been reported that the United States uses numbers stations to communicate encoded information to persons in other countries.[1]

Numbers stations appear and disappear over time (although some follow regular schedules), and their overall activity has increased slightly since the early 1990s.

Louigi Verona

Hehe. Makes me wanna start my own number radio and see governments follow it, trying to decode.

uncloned

LV - that sounds like an appropriate response :-)

here is another one for you - much closer to your home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

LPChip

Sounds like you've played Call of Duty Black Ops. X)

Its storyline is bound using numbers too. In fact, it gets pretty close to this topic in the story somewhere near the end.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Wow! Did not know about the woodpecker signal. I do know about radio jamming in Soviet Union as part of censorship, but it was different, as it was an internal thing.

uncloned

the whole "over the horizon" radar topic I find pretty interesting. That smacks of Star Trek technology.

kit beats

woodpecker sound?¿ hahah ok...this is some Great stuff...cool. but im kinda waiting for some banging hiphop beat to come out!
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

uncloned

I think that will happen only if we collaborate :-)

thanks for the listen and comment!