Tick Jump (detail Row Jump)

Started by Harbinger, November 04, 2010, 20:01:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

I often need to enter triplets or other tuplets in my tracks, but these are not innate to the ticks-per-row setup of trackers. I'd like to see a Tick Jump setting that allows you to move by ticks when notes are entered or when navigating. When the user enters the first note (presumably quantized to the first tick of the row), the entry pointer moves down the given number of ticks and automatically enters the correct Note Delay amount. This would save me a lot of time calculating the number of ticks within the row to start the triplet note.

When adjusting the Row Jump value, the Tick Jump would also be reset to the correct number of ticks in those rows.

Perhaps a shortcut key toggles between jumping by rows or ticks.

Saga Musix

Have you tried working with alternating speed (f.e. A08/A04) or different numbers of rows per beat yet?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Indeed. this is much easier to accomplish if you track at a faster speed/tempo.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Just an example how to use alternating speed for triplets:

ModPlug Tracker  IT
|C-501...A08|C-502...SB0
|E-501......|...........
|G-501...A04|...........
|...........|........SBF
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Hmm, good idea worth looking at. Won't the change in tick speed affect my tempo? I work in Modern for my classical stuff....

Saga Musix

It wont' work with Modern tempo. You should stick to 6 or 12 RPB in that case.

Harbinger

So if i use Modern tempo mode, i use tick speeds divisible by 3? Then i just multiply (or divide?) the current tick speed by 3 during the time of the triplets? Am i thinking of this right?

Saga Musix

The tick speed doesn't matter. The number of rows does. At 12 RPB, you'd get triplets on every 4th row, an 8th on every 6th row and 16ths on every 3rd row.

Harbinger

Ok, gotcha. Since there is a rather relatively easy workaround, i'll close this request. Thanks for your help...