[DECLINED] "Save plugins list as" function

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), October 14, 2010, 21:58:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

I think it would be nice and helpfull to be able to save plugins list in a separate files, instead of the autosave made in the "plugincache" file.

Indeed, I have so many time lost my plugin list, or part of it, when re-installing MPT, or installing a new version, or even in doing nothing.

And it is really annoying to have to re-insert all of them, especially when you have hundreds and hundreds...

Don't you think so ?

Saga Musix

In which cases did you lose the plugin list? It should actually not get lost when reinstalling OpenMPT (the only possible exception being when upgrading from OpenMPT 1.17, where it could fail in some very rare cases). The plugin.cache file is actually not necessary for keeping the plugins (it's just used for speeding up the loading procedure), the only file that needs to be backed up is %APPDATA%\OpenMPT\mptrack.ini, and to be more specific, only the [VST Plugins] section in that file.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks a lot, I'll check the right file, then.

But anyway, I can't tell when exactly the missing plugins events happen, but I'm just sure it happens pretty often on my computers, whereas I do not install new versions, only adding new plugins...

So, maybe it's a problem with my computers systems ?

There are no rules : sometimes I load my MPT and I can see that many plugins have disappeared from the list...Weird...

LPChip

Are you actually moving or changing the driveletter of the location where you have your plugins stored?

If you for instance use a flash drive to run your plugins from, and that letter changes, OpenMPT will mark the plugins as not found.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

No, I didn't change any driveletters locations for sure (and all my plugins are runned from the main hardrive), and also, it is not he totality of the plugins that disappears when it occurs, but only some in the list...

So I don't think it is a problem of finding the list, for MPT, but the list seems badly updated...

Yesterday, for instance, about 50 VSTI were missing from the list, whereas they were present at previous start of MPT.

Saga Musix

The original issue (OpenMPT "forgetting" about plugins) has been moved to the issue tracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=18
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

I'll close this one as the issue linked in the previous post has been finally resolved. For all other purposes, it's enough to back up your mptrack.ini.