Question: how to pick a note hearing all the row.

Started by vicktech, September 30, 2010, 21:54:49

Previous topic - Next topic

vicktech

I can't understand how to do note picking in the row.
I need to hear all other instruments in the row from other tracks when i test note or instrument, listening how it sounds in the pattern together with other instruments.
Usually it is controlled by solo/mute channels, like in old trackers.
But how to do the same in modern trackers?
How to do that in MPT?

Saga Musix

Just a wild guess as I don't entirely understand your question: You might want to try the "play row" command (5th icon in the pattern toolbar, and there might be shortcut bound to it, depending on the keymap you use).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vicktech

Yes it is almost what i need.
But i need not just to play row.
I need to play it when i press key and play/insert note into pattern.
It may happen with or without shift to next row.
If with - i either play next note or silence.
If without - i just test note sounding together with other notes in the row.
It is like analysing song and modifying it with total speed and sounding control.

KrazyKatz

Also having a little difficulty understanding.

In the "Patterns" menu, try clicking on the "Channels" (Channel 1 , Channel 2 etc..). This mutes them.

You can also right click on them and solo a channel. There are a few options to choose from.

So first use the "Play row" option Jojo mentioned, then mute and un-mute the channels you want.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum :).
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

vicktech

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Also having a little difficulty understanding.

In the "Patterns" menu, try clicking on the "Channels" (Channel 1 , Channel 2 etc..). This mutes them.

You can also right click on them and solo a channel. There are a few options to choose from.

So first use the "Play row" option Jojo mentioned, then mute and un-mute the channels you want.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum :).

No, this is not what i want.
I need to hear all notes int the row it when i press key and insert note into pattern.
In other words i need to hear what it will be when i write it, not after.

Saga Musix

Can you give me an example of an "old" tracker that did this? I can't think of any at the moment. You could try to use "Play row" and then start adding notes to the row.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"You could try to use "Play row" and then start adding notes to the row.
But not at the same time. Right?
QuoteCan you give me an example of an "old" tracker that did this? I can't think of any at the moment.
Unfortunatelly only tracker that could do that is fasttrasker 2.0 for dos.
And ACM(ASM) Tracker and FT_1.0 for ZX-Spectrum 256.

I been making music by trackers 10 years ago.
There was a old computer ZX-Spectrum 128 (ZX-Scorpion 256) with sound
coprocessor.
And there were 2 trackers.
One is ASM tracker, written by professional programmers. This one had no
required features.
I hacked into codes and inserted pieces of code into free space of memory.
This is how it begun to have superconvenient features.
The other one was FT_1.0 (something like fasttracker, but different).
It was made by folks - musicians, so it had some (not all) features like I was
looking for in all other trackers.
Due to very limited sound of ZX-Spectrum, I decided to buy PC.
But when I examined bunch of PC trackers - what a disaster - they did not have
these features.
I had written about dozen incomplete compositions, and leaved tracker scene.
Just because all the software was madly inconvenient.

ZX-Spectrum music is called 8-bit modern music.
Because not only computing power matters, but firstly convenience of instrument.

KrazyKatz

I think I get what he wants.

When inserting a note in a row, it activates the "play row" option playing the entire row including  the note that is placed.

I don't know of any tracker that does this. Sounds like a feature request for OMPT.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

vicktech

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I think I get what he wants.

When inserting a note in a row, it activates the "play row" option playing the entire row including  the note that is placed.
Yes, it is now understood.

I don't know of any tracker that does this. Sounds like a feature request for OMPT.

Let it be so.
Now just a little left to go - explain programmers what is needed. :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "vicktech"
Quote from: "Jojo"You could try to use "Play row" and then start adding notes to the row.
But not at the same time. Right?
Well, that depends on your definition of "at the same time". :) You can first hit "play row", go up one row and then enter note data and it will still play. Not very convenient of course, but it does the job for now.

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"
Well, that depends on your definition of "at the same time". :) You can first hit "play row", go up one row and then enter note data and it will still play. Not very convenient of course, but it does the job for now.

No, no, no, no, no. :)
It does job somehow, the job is to write music, and it must be done well. Besides it does the job only for one row, but what really needed is
analysing song and modifying it with total speed and sounding control.
It means seamlesly, without "one step forth two steps back", or unnecesarily jumping forth and back anyway.

You can call it WYHIWYG - What You Hear Is What You Get

LPChip

Don't forget, you can play the pattern, and while it plays enter notes.

Its not the same as having a short clip hearing everything that goes on at that moment when you enter a note though.

If you really want to continuously hear those notes, you can use the Cxx jump to row effect to make it jump to the same row every time.

A quick way to be able to work with this would be to go to an empty channel, select the first row, and type in C00. Go to the bottom row, and set Cxx where xx is the same as the row number (Default 63), except you need to convert this to a hexadecimal number (double click the effect and use the slider to set the value to 63, and it will enter a hexadecimal number for you)

Select the entire channel, and rightclick->interpolate effect. This should get you a C00, C01, C02... etc. Now go to the row you want to enter a note, and press play from row. It should now loop only that row and you can hear what happens with your note.

Do note that if you have an instrument that has continue or fade in its New Note Action (instrument tab) it will quickly become a mess in terms of sound. To counteract, you can slow down the song by setting a speed of 16 or higher. (the higher the slower)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Nice workaround LP, but I do think his idea has merit. Might be worth checking out those older trackers and getting a feature request opened.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

vicktech

Quote from: "LPChip"Don't forget, you can play the pattern, and while it plays enter notes.

I know it. Thanks for advice.
But it is not what is needed, it is too complicated and it does not give precise real time control over speed+sounding and pattern as result.

Let's say tracker needs just a little improvement.
Just about 100 lines of code.

You will see how simple and convenient it is when you will work with it.
Need advice - I'm ready to help.

Actually:
I could not understand how to program on PC.
I needed only realtime system, not other.
I even wanted to architect my own computer for making music :)
Filters, plugins, effects - it is all very nice.
But what is needed anyway - a few convenient features.
I may still have vision of what convenient tracker should be.
If you need advice, or suggestions in tracker creation - ask me.
Dont want it to appear that all my mental constructing was in vain.
And hope I did not forget all the thing after all this time.
If you want I can tell you how to make most superior tracker on this Earth ;)

I dug into deep of drums, I flew into abyss of frequencies.
For the future I have ultimate concept of new tracker, the whole universe will shudder from. :twisted:

vicktech

So how it goes?
Any nightly builds with implementation?
We have a progressing topic at renoise forum.