Author Topic: MIDI pitch wheel record in pattern now possible?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Rabbit

• Shy artist
MIDI pitch wheel record in pattern now possible?
« on: August 19, 2010, 23:02:57 »
Hello,

I've just bought a MIDI-USB interface and plugged in my old Keyboard to play around with OpenMPT. Btw. playing VST-instruments is a great fun!  :P

I used the search option but only got old posts about it. In release notes I found the following informations:

[New] Can now record parameter changes to pattern (MPTM). [...]
+ <re> MIDI controllers can now be used to input smooth MIDI macro commands to pattern (setup->MIDI). (rev. 240) [...]

So is it now possible to record pitch wheel commands through MIDI in a pattern? Using the modulation wheel results in \xx-effects but pitch wheel seem to have no effect to pattern. But I can using it live with VST-instruments.

So is this still not implemented to OpenMPT or do I simply didn't get the trick?

Best regards,

Norbert

Offline Rakib

• Crazy artist
  • Operating System: win7x64
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 23:27:07 »
Automation is a bit tricky with Modplug, but you can alway use Exx and Fxx if the vst supports input for midi-pitch.

I guess that you haven't turned on record params on your vst, and make sure that you're using mptm-format and not it  or xm.
^^

Offline LPChip

• Administrator
    • http://lpchip.nl
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:26:15 »
In the setup, midi tab, is it set to respond to these commands?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Offline Rabbit

• Shy artist
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 19:56:38 »
Quote from: "Rakib"
Automation is a bit tricky with Modplug, but you can alway use Exx and Fxx if the vst supports input for midi-pitch.

I guess that you haven't turned on record params on your vst, and make sure that you're using mptm-format and not it  or xm.

Hello,

thank you for the quick responds. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in general so please let me explain how I do it.
    Start new Project.
    Change to MPTM at the song properties.
    On the general tap I click on "Select..." and choose an VST-instrument (the free DVS Guitar for example but also tried it with other VST-instruments) and load it to FX1.
    Create new instrument at the instrument tab.
    Choose FX1: DVS Guitar as Plugin/MIDI.
    Start Plugin-Editor and select "Record params".
    Begin new record at the pattern tab. Pitch wheel is audible while playing but will not recorded.

I just turned on every option at the MIDI tab in the setup section to be sure everything will be recorded. If I put Exx or Fxx effects manually between the recorded notes than portamento is there so the VST instrument is supporting it in general.

Best regards,

Norbert

Offline Relabsoluness

• OpenMPT Developers
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 21:31:15 »
Recording pitch wheel changes to pattern has not been implemented.