[Windows XP] Shovel, concrete (.it, .mp3) Pure WinXP samples

Started by WIFT, August 31, 2010, 16:38:52

Previous topic - Next topic

WIFT

Hi,
I am new here (although I do modules for a while), so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong writing in this forum ... ;-) (and sorry for my far-from-perfect English).

I made this tune in september 2008. I know there are lots of tunes made only from Windows XP sounds, but that didn't stop me from doing my own. I think it is quite difficult to create nice tune using just Windows XP sounds, because there is virtually nothing like drums or similar sounds that can be used to emphasize rhythm. So I created one that is sort of designed to miss those sounds. Idea of that simple melody used in this tune is quite old, it comes somewhere from previous millennium and as far as I know it has never been used since this song ;-). And NO, I'm not going to explain where comes the name of this song (for now) ;).

Download here:
http://music.wrapuch.net/it/New_Era/SHOVCONC.IT
http://music.wrapuch.net/mp3/Shovel_Concrete.mp3

Notes: From technical side the samples are not really just taken from Windows XP. I could have used lots of offsetting, but instead I just cutted some of them and used the shorted version then. I consider that as an allowed cheat ;-). I'm not sure if I changed volume of some samples, but I think I didn't. I have another WinXP tune where I did and also used other samples (no more than two drum loops), maybe I post it also some day ;-).

And because the samples are (mostly) stereo, I divided them to separate channels and used them simultaneously (because at the time the tune was created I did't know that I can use the whole stereo sample and make this tune in Schism Tracker - this particular tune is the last one I created in original DOS Impulse Tracker).

Of course, feedback welcome. As of usage: do whatever you want with this song :).

Oliwerko

The beginning is very nice, but what disappoints me a bit are the switches between major/minor, it feels awkward. Apart from that, if it wasn't for the familiar bell sound, I wouldn't know it's made from XP sounds at first.

The buildup is done well, but IMHO could be shorter. The theme is repeating much too often for my taste.

The percussion is not really needed, as you already mentioned.

Overall it's one of the better XP-sound tracks I've heard, and with a little more work would be even better. The major/minor thing doesn't work for me however, sorry.

And of course - welcome to the forums, I'm looking forward for more songs of yours, not only because you're in a more familiar part of the world  :wink:
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

WIFT

Quote from: "Oliwerko"The beginning is very nice, but what disappoints me a bit are the switches between major/minor, it feels awkward.
If I understand correctly what is usualy meant with "minor", there is no "minor" chord (or something like this). As of what I think you are talking about, it is transposing of the chord by one or two semitones, but still "major". And it is deliberately that way :)

Quote from: "Oliwerko"The buildup is done well, but IMHO could be shorter. The theme is repeating much too often for my taste.
You are right. This song has to have lyrics (in Czech only - hence the name of the song) and I am not sure if I ever make a version with it, because probably the only person who can "try-to-sing-it" is me ;-). And I (for apparent reasons) don't want to ;-). (In the second strophe the "shovel" and "concrete" is replaced with "hoe" and "rake" ;). Is is (in essence) designed to be tiring (as the hard work with mentioned tools/materials usualy is ;).

Anyway thank you for your comment. (škoda, že se nemůžem bavit každý svou řečí ;)

Rakib

I liked it, could be a little shorter but nice use of the windows xp samples.
^^

Oliwerko

Quote from: WIFT
Quote from: "Oliwerko"The beginning is very nice, but what disappoints me a bit are the switches between major/minor, it feels awkward.
If I understand correctly what is usualy meant with "minor", there is no "minor" chord (or something like this). As of what I think you are talking about, it is transposing of the chord by one or two semitones, but still "major". And it is deliberately that way :)

Yeah, the transposing sounded awkward to me. But I'm known for that, so nevermind.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the lyrics, I have two songs like that, and no way I am going to sing  :D
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

LPChip

I am currently at work, so I can't check this song out.

I did wanted to tell you that I've made a song with the Windows XP sounds myself. The song can be viewed and listened on youtube (and downloaded from here)

The song is called Windowed Experience.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

WIFT

Quote from: "LPChip"I did wanted to tell you that I've made a song with the Windows XP sounds myself. The song can be viewed and listened on youtube (and downloaded from here)

Wow - can I see the source mod?

LPChip

Listening to your song as I type:

As the beginning is playing, I get a very peacefull start, and at the same time a cry for help or so it seems. This is due to the use of minor and major as pointed out earlier by others.

This gives a nice result.

I do miss a bit that the song goes into a direction. It basically gives somekind of wandering feeling. This is partially also due to the length. But I suppose that, because I made a song myself and heard others too, I'm a bit spoiled and have higher expectations than I should have. For instance, I miss a bassdrum or snare which you can create by adding a pitch envelope in the instrument editor.

Overall, the attemt certainly is a good one, but it didn't got my attention enough to keep it in my playlist.

-----

As for sharing my own song: The source can be seen on youtube in the movie itself, but I do not wish to share it. As explained on youtube on the reactions, this is due to the usage of reverb and echo.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs