[sound] Centaur's Pasture (mp3 / online)

Started by uncloned, August 29, 2010, 03:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Yes, "temperament" is clearly the wrong word, but i've never heard of "inharmonicity" and i think that's the word that describes what i meant. (See, you learn something new every day! :P )

BTW, you're the one who wanted a definition of "artificial temperament." What, was that a trap question to get me to define something never defined? :D

And yes, as a piano player primarily, there is a marked difference in tone from a softly played piano note/chord and a loud one. It is a difference few piano emulators take into account (except for the pricey ones, which don't exist in my universe since i can't afford them!).

Now Pianoteq may take inharmonicity into account but i remember a few of the tones being too perfect, and that's why i said it was noticeable to me.

uncloned

Quote from: "Harbinger"

BTW, you're the one who wanted a definition of "artificial temperament." What, was that a trap question to get me to define something never defined? :D

Not a trap, I wanted to be sure of your usage.

I think your differences between (your memory of?) a real piano and pianoteq probably come from the slight mistunings of the unison string courses. Which pianoteq can control as well.

At 99 euros pianoteq "play" version is pretty affordable - I had to save up to buy the (then) full version which is now called "standard" - the professional version allows even greater control - http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq3_pro

And -

QuoteAnd yes, as a piano player primarily, there is a marked difference in tone from a softly played piano note/chord and a loud one. It is a difference few piano emulators take into account (except for the pricey ones, which don't exist in my universe since i can't afford them!).

Every commercial sample set I know of does this - even some free soundfonts have "velocity layers" - I think that's the correct term - a different sample for the same note played at different velocity. I host quite a few piano soundfonts at  http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/sfbank/  and cakewalk is giving away free a soundfont player as noted in general discussion forum on this site and I believe it works with MPT.

Harbinger

Ooo, advertise that in a new thread. 8)

Be back Friday!