Horizontal Sample Map

Started by Paul Legovitch, August 02, 2010, 13:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Legovitch

In the instrument editor, I'd like :

1) a horizontal Sample Map with a scrollbar (like the order view in the pattern editor).
It would be really easier to work with I think (since keys are horizontal on a keyboard), and the number of displayed notes could adapt to the window's width (like the order view).

2) a value box for each slider (Reso, Cutoff, Random Variations), exactly like the Ramping slider already has (since iIt's hard to have enough precision with a slider).

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"2) a value box for each slider (Reso, Cutoff, Random Variations), exactly like the Ramping slider already has (since iIt's hard to have enough precision with a slider).
Actually, I wanted to re-do this a bit differently when/if we switch to Qt, with a custom slider control like it can be found in PhotoImpact:

As long as you press the "↓" button, a slider will become visible and you can use it to drag. I'd love to have such controls in OpenMPT. It's one of the best methods for numeric inputs I've ever experienced.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Paul Legovitch

That's nice, but then you don't see the sliders when you don't touch them, right ?
II think it would be better to have both sliders and values visible all the time since sliders give you a graphic overview of the instruments parameters.
The Ramping slider+value is perfect for me, I wouldn't put more work into this ;)

Btw, It would be useful to also have a slider for Global Volume and Pan, don't you think ?

Harbinger

All of these ideas sound good.

As a side note, you keep talking up Qt, and you have me sold, but what is it gonna take to transfer the code? Have you started or at least done any testing with MPT's GUI? Does it ALL hafta be Qt (is there any compatibility with Qt code and MFC code?)

Saga Musix

It is possible to use MFC and Qt at the same time (though it will obviously bloat the executable a bit), so not all things have to be converted at the same time. So I hope it won't cause too much trouble once it's started...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Well, you seem to show more creative solutions when you talk about MPT-Qt, and i would push for you to begin a project with an MFC-Qt hybrid as you work on features and fixes for the regular MPT builds. Damn the bloat! As long as Qt works in Windows XP, what's stopping you? :wink:

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Harbinger"As long as Qt works in Windows XP, what's stopping you? :wink:
The fact that this is a rather big change and that I will most likely have to do it mostly alone and that I have to start somewhere...

LPChip

I would start by only implementing the Qt and not make any changes yet. Add a debug/test button/control somewhere (you can even hide it during development) just to test if the Qt is implemented correctly, and once done, start changing the parts you want to change.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"I would start by only implementing the Qt
I would not start by implementing, but by looking for possible catches and problems, and where a good start could be done. The rest is relatively easy because there are guides how to transform a MFC application into a Qt application step by step.