Problems importing UMX files

Started by Dead Parrot, August 15, 2010, 19:11:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead Parrot

I have the latest version of OpenMPT (1.18 ), but I tried this with other versions with the same problem.  Whenever I try to open an UMX module (in this case from EA "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"), I get this message:

"Opening of 'C:/Documents/Music/JS_main_title_mx.umx' failed.  This can happen if no more document can be opened or if the file type was not recognized.  If the former is true, it's recommended to close some documents as otherwise crash is likely (currently there are 0 documents open.)"

Is MPT just not able to open UMX music?  Is there some way they've copy-protected the songs so I can't open them?  Or am I just not doing this right?

Tried this on XP and Win 7, both 32 bit, same results.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT can only open UMX files from Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament 1 and Deus Ex - any more recent games don't use module music anymore. UMX is just a container format and was used for storing S3M and IT files in those games. Nowadays, it's probably MP3s.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Dead Parrot

...Oh, I see.  The format is, in this particular case, just a container for mp3's or a similar format?  I guess that would explain a lot...lol

Rakib

Use this program to see what files that are included in the UMX-file.
http://www.elberethzone.net/lang-en/dragonunpacker.html
^^

Dead Parrot

LPChip

Yes, I remember that The newer Unreal (was it Unreal 2?) used .OGG music instead of .IT's and .S3M's.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Yeah, anything since Unreal 2 is probably using OGG or another streaming format.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Dead Parrot

Guess they were thinking outside the box with this game... the files all contain MP2's.

(I'm not sure if I'd even heard of an MP2 before this, but Audacity can open them, so I'm satisfied.)

LPChip

Quote from: "Dead Parrot"Guess they were thinking outside the box with this game... the files all contain MP2's.

(I'm not sure if I'd even heard of an MP2 before this, but Audacity can open them, so I'm satisfied.)

MP2 is the predecessor of MP3
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"MP2 is the predecessor of MP3
No it's not. All three MPEG-1 layers (commonly known as mp1, mp2 and mp3) were published around the same time, as it's just three different layers (with different algorithms) to store an audio stream in an MPEG-1 file. It's less common, but the "2" in the name does neither imply that it sounds worse, nor that it's a predecessor. However, MPEG-1 was superseded by MPEG-2 (which can also contain a layer 1, 2, or 3 stream, again commonly known as mp1, mp2 and mp3).

LPChip

Aha. I always thought that since the name means MPeg Layer 1/2/3, they were newer formats with each better compression.

Thanks for clearing that up.