[Hip-Hop] Ran's Theme (mp3) Oldschool-Beat

Started by Fleeesch, May 22, 2010, 13:27:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleeesch

Hello, guys.

I'm getting deeper and deeper into sampling since I started creating electronic music with a different software than fl studio.
I found my way to tracker software, the limitations of openMPT compared to professional DAWs are helping me pushing my sampling skills.
Without crossfading and automation, everything comes down to the perfect cut of the samples and a trained ear.

So, I made a short hip hop beat, based on "Rans's Theme", a song from the Detective Conan/Case Closed Anime Soundtrack.
All the sounds - drums included - came from the original song.
You can loop this one over and over again, very good for freestylin'.

Used the VSTs 'Electri-Q' for Equalization and 'Clearsynth' for bass.

Download Song

Tell me if you like it or not, I appreciate criticism.

Rakib

Great song, I have only one remark and it's the snare that doesn't fit very well with rest of the sound. It has to much stereo and reverb on it, maybe apply som eq would do some good to.

Note that I'm listening to this song with headphones, stereo effects can sound much wider than it actually is with it.
^^

Fleeesch

You're right, thank you very much.

I've removed the chorus.
Should start working more with my stereo headphones, but then again, there shouldn't be any chorus effects when you're just working with mono-samples.

Rakib

It could be, but then it have to fit in with the rest of the samples. So maybe broaden your other samples could be an option?
^^

Fleeesch

Could be an option.
But the main challenge of this song was the simple, yet difficult sampling.
Actually, it's not just a loop that I cut out of the original song, I had to cut different parts out of it to get the full-length sax melody.
Without crossfading or editing the original audio with a WAV software, it's a little challenge to make the loop sound harmonic.

Don't know if you're that much into sampling, but I found a neat article:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/articles/lostscience.htm
Some advanced techniques. Very interesting.

Rakib

I work mostly with vsti's for melodies and samples for the percussion now. But sampling is a pain in the ass, specially with vocals. It always gets offbeat how much I try.
Example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjYrlWs6p4
^^

Fleeesch

Doesn't sound that much off-beat for me.
Even if you want to change the vocals in tempo, that shouldn't be a problem. It has an electronic sound, differences in quality shouldn't be something that you could notice when you stretch the sound a little bit.

Whenever I create a melodic peace of music, I try to stay away from sampling, using VSTs instead.
It's just too cheap to use some ready-to-go samples, downloaded from the internet, for example *.wav files containing synth pad sounds.

Nice tune, by the way.