4 (23.5%)
NetScape
0 (0%)
Safari
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: May 05, 2010, 09:06:03

LPChip

When you browse the web, which browser do you do it in?

This topic is NOT intended to be a browser war. So don't even start to disgrace other browsers.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

lol, no point in actual war anyway, everybody has his own profile and made the choice long long time ago.

Anyway, i am using FF as a main browser, but im following closely all the other one's progresses, playing with them from time to time.

Chrome soon will be definitely a very strong browser, i mean it is getting there very fast on charts. Now it has extensions support, has minimalistic appealing design, it's fast and its modular, also has many tricks to make your browsing experience smooth as possible. Thanks to all this, its rock stable. Google is listening to his user requests and trying to please them. I am using the Chromium nightly builds, they are awesome. Google surely knows what is he doing.

Opera has revisited his design and made further speed optimizations lately (as the other browsers are pushing this constantly also). Not much change from his politics, it tries to tell the user how should he use the net with the integrated presetted stuff (similar to IE), not really interested about the users opinion, what would we want. But it is a very good choice for those type of users who are fine with that, and dont wana bitch with extension searching and "browser building" sessions. Simply install it, and you will get "out from the box" the most stuff that the average modern surfer person would need.

IE 9 will have some hardware 2D and 3D acceleration implemented (the other browsers will surely have it too), but it will stay on the bottom list, at least it is compatible with the standards somehow better than the previous ones.

FF is the open source, user friendly powerhouse. It has a tons of different interesting builds, it has the most largest and easy manageable extension database, tons of great stuff. There is nothing what you cant build or customize with the extensions. Imagine something that you want, and you already has an extension for it, just need to download and set it up. It has very large fanbase thanks to this, many peoples are constantly developing and upgrading the plugs. The latest nightly build are testing a new multi-threading engine, that will allow to run most parts of the page and the plugins in separate threads, so they wont slow down your browser even with multiple fast tab or link openings, and if some element crashes (crappy adobe flash codes on random pages anyone? :D) only the plugin thread will "die" (and can be restarted), the whole page, the other tabs will stay intact. Also the nightly has already hw acceleration implemented, cosmetic changes and great speed improvements.

Besides the nightly "Minefield" build I am using a third party "branch", called Palemoon, the cool stuff about it, that is totally optimized for modern machines and processors, also has interesting memory usage and other minor optimizations.
http://www.palemoon.org/
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

It's a problem with the pole when you can only select one the alternatives.

Here is what I use:
Chrome/IE/Opera Mini.
^^

LPChip

Quote from: "Rakib"It's a problem with the pole when you can only select one the alternatives.

Here is what I use:
Chrome/IE/Opera Mini.

I'm sure you use one of these for main browsing. I suspect that would be Chrome?

IE probably at work, Opera Mini on the phone, right?

If I could allow multiple choices in the poll, I would. But phpBB doesn't support that.

May I ask what version of IE you're using?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

Right on the spot  :D Guessing you can check ip-adresses?

But we have IE8 here, but I'm looking forward to IE9.
^^

LPChip

Quote from: "Rakib"Right on the spot  :D Guessing you can check ip-adresses?

But we have IE8 here, but I'm looking forward to IE9.

I do not need to check an IP adres to make a guess like this.

Here's my reasoning:

Opera-mini is a known browser for phones, so it was easy to link it to your phone.

If you would use IE as main browser, you wouldn't need Chrome.

If you only use Chrome, you would not use IE, so you must be using IE at a place where Chrome is not supported or allowed. Work or I-net cafe would be the location, but since work is the most common place where I would find this, it was my first guess. :)

I happen to have the same situation. I use Opera at home, IE7 at work (though I have a portable FireFox installation there too, but shh... :P) and IE8 at home for testing mostly. Opera-mini on the phone of course :)

psishock

Quote(though I have a portable FireFox installation there too, but shh... :P)
naughty, naughty LP. :D

Saga Musix

Aaaand, it's still called Firefox, not FireFox.:P (also, the official abbreveration is not FF, but Fx). Oh, and Firefox rules of course.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

FF is more easier to write, and most of the people who i know is using this way... so i think ill stick with it. :D But your right.

AlisterFlint

ff doesn't rule, pfff.. it is, at the best, the less of the 3 evils. it has been known to leak memory since v1.5.
some say it's a matter of updating the java version, some say it's avg clocking up ff, and so and so on..
if you start a search about "firefore memory leak" you'll find pages and pages of fixes, patches, suggestions
and such, but it'd appear that what works for one, doesn't for another.

now, as i've said at first, ff is not the worst of all, it has ups and downs, just like ie, opera and chrome.
i use the first 3 (ff 3.08/ie 6.02/opera 10.51), for different usages, on 2 different machines.

i won't go into chrome, simply because it's a bigbrother product, but it seems to have been developed by true web users..

LPChip

Do I have to remind everyone, this topic is not a browser war? ;)

Quote from: "LPChip"This topic is NOT intended to be a browser war. So don't even start to disgrace other browsers.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "AlisterFlint"it has been known to leak memory since v1.5.
you must be one of the people who are using weird extensions. with the extensions I use, it has NEVER "leaked" memory, meaning that it's staying at stable 100-200mb RAM usage (depending on how many sites I have opened), no matter for how many hours or even days I let it run.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

I use FF for main browsing. At work I also need to use Chrome.

g

Opera, Chrome, Safari, IE7. I like Opera the most for it's simplicity and great ad-blocking.

Rakib

If people are worried about issues with chrome we have Iron, which is the same code but doesn't have the home-calling feature.
^^