[DECLINED] Few improving

Started by Alikrus, May 01, 2010, 19:20:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alikrus

Hello!

I have few ideas and don't know, are You let to interesting for this or not.

Any body know, what tracker music have richest spectrum of sound trough endless variation of samples. And it - great bonus of format. But it so and file size troubles, as specialy in web.
Midi files have very small size, but spectrum of sound is very limited by fixed numbers of instruments. And on the different systems and players it louds differently too.
As result, all have self plus and minus...

On the forum of provider of my country i have a topic with question about this. But people too litle interested in music and tracker format not knows. My ideas about this being to ignoring. In the others forum people has ask me: Why you needing for this?

Well, in this moment i have desire to posting on the this forum, where people are competeted in that quests.
I lerning to English too without web-translators, and my text may have many mistakes. I'm sorry by this, but i needing to know English;)

So, my plan is...
In the 90's tracker soft has an evolution with S3M. Next times comes XM and IT formats as best culmination of tracker world education. But in present time that industry have few difficulty and crisis. New good ideas are smooth or unknowing. As short word, improving not existed. :(

Ideas:
One of my ideas being as a tracker module scripts for samples generation. So, after loading a module file, player doing a searching for samples with special header as simple text caption. For example, "S3M-JAVA SYNTHEZ" or other.
After lucky searching the player executing internal parser for script. And script formed one or many samples with best quality. The script is a text file and linked to module as sample. And its script - open source and very small modules as result...

Second of my ideas being as module modification with one more envelope for sample taping. So, for sine full period sample we can load one sine quarter only, but with envelope we can to doing full sine, if it sample looped as bidirectional and besigned. Besigned - when after full bidi-loop cycle this sample being to invert.
One more feature of this envelope in the full control over sample playing. So, as DJ's with disks, that with hand to stoping or reverse spinning of disk, and changed speed. In this envelope we can to point few lines. X-coordinate - time, Y-coordinate - is position in sample.
If we have a sample with 4410 bytes, we can to draw envelope as one line from (0,0) to (441,4410). And this playing on the 44100Hz per 0.441 of second. If line is from (0,4410) to (441,0), the instrument have playing sample backward. If we drawing complex of lines, a sample being to loud as on DJ's disk.

Few of ideas i'm developed on the Pascal and C...

What You thinking about this?

Rakib

If you want to save space, why don't use the ITP(it-project file) to save the file size.

But since you know c, I'm sure you can improve modplug, since it's written in c++.
^^

Harbinger

Quote from: "Alikrus"
In the 90's tracker soft has an evolution with S3M. Next times comes XM and IT formats as best culmination of tracker world education. But in present time that industry have few difficulty and crisis. New good ideas are smooth or unknowing. As short word, improving not existed. :(
Previous formats -- especially those which were "proprietary" to certain applications -- have the most resistance to format change UNLESS updated formats are backward-compatible, because so many composers have archived tracks in those old versions. This is why they are not normally "updated", but rather new file formats are introduced. As technology increases and applications have more and more capabilities, the old formats simply don't have any way to "keep up" with these new technologies. In short, i wouldn't count on too much upgrading of old formats...

Quote from: "Alikrus"Ideas:
One of my ideas being as a tracker module scripts for samples generation. So, after loading a module file, player doing a searching for samples with special header as simple text caption. For example, "S3M-JAVA SYNTHEZ" or other.
After lucky searching the player executing internal parser for script. And script formed one or many samples with best quality. The script is a text file and linked to module as sample. And its script - open source and very small modules as result...
Requires MPT to have its own disassembler of sorts to understand scripts and translate to functions it can execute. Not as easy as it sounds, even though we would all make use of it i'm sure.

Quote from: "Alikrus"Second of my ideas being as module modification with one more envelope for sample taping....
Sample editing is Jojo's interest and i see he has added a lot of capabilities with sample editing that are just not present on other (at least free) trackers. Keep your eye on this space as he is always coming up with great ideas to enhance MPT's sample editing features... :wink:

Saga Musix

Quote. But it so and file size troubles, as specialy in web.
Sorry, but we don't live in 1995 anymore. Swapping great-sounding modules is certainly not limited by bandwidth anymore.

That would probably the worst possible approach, but anyway...
If you want generated samples, you might want to look into the softsynths used by the demoscene instead, for example V2 or 4klang. Both are VSTs, so they can be used in a tracker, but their output is incredibly small.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alikrus

Quote from: "Harbinger"
Previous formats -- especially those which were "proprietary" to certain applications -- have the most resistance to format change UNLESS updated formats are backward-compatible, because so many composers have archived tracks in those old versions. This is why they are not normally "updated", but rather new file formats are introduced. As technology increases and applications have more and more capabilities, the old formats simply don't have any way to "keep up" with these new technologies. In short, i wouldn't count on too much upgrading of old formats...
I'm thinking about this. Well, in web may to meet few versions of one module: with reduced quality to 8-bits and sample with half and quarter reduced frequency for the space economy as demo...
And i simple to think, then in module may to present standart sample forms with poor or standart quality. But with script-feature, if the player supporting for this, script-algorythm are overwriting all this samples with wave-forms with best quality.
Then we save back-supports with old players.
It is one...

Over all other i need to think...

Thanks!

Alikrus

Quote from: "Jojo"Sorry, but we don't live in 1995 anymore. Swapping great-sounding modules is certainly not limited by bandwidth anymore.
Why sorry? :lol: It is so excelent!
But in my country web is very slow anyway :?
QuoteThat would probably the worst possible approach, but anyway...
Hm-mmm...
I have many experimental tasks with this way. Let it's in DOS wroted, but when i beginning, i trying to use some me-self byte-code of virtual CPU with an instructions as exp/sin/sqr e t.c...

In this time i'm looking to midi by simple and most common protocol. With meta-tags i declare many tiny functions with simple arithmetical actions, and as end - concat it's all in main pattern and it generated completed midi-stream. It's awefull way with html-js using, but it working. But very poor...

P.S.: I'm finding a SOL-archive of 70's, when digital music being in listing as BASIC-language. And as trying i'm developing in present time a parser for this to midi. It's working and i earing melodies, that knowing. But it's so buggy for poor specifications.
What interesting, player for this in sol-emulator only. But real as winamp-plugin is no... Old format anybody needless? Why?
Even very-very old technology needed for support in modern players. As AdlibPlugin.

Saga Musix

QuoteIn this time i'm looking to midi by simple and most common protocol.
MIDI is not that simple, and more important: MIDI is horrible. That's probably one reason why MPT's VST support is rather poor.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alikrus

Quote from: "Jojo"
QuoteIn this time i'm looking to midi by simple and most common protocol.
MIDI is not that simple, and more important: MIDI is horrible. That's probably one reason why MPT's VST support is rather poor.
I'm understanding and i sider of modules. Tracker music bought me self sound richness, when on the flea marker one man sold 5"25 diskettes with mod/s3m music 80's. After that i'm buying more floppies with some tracks.
Midi-protocol very simple and using as interexchanging protocol. But midi allows too some effects, simple not all programs allows and supporting that.

So i'm now working with midi in this aspect: simple. Mobile phones and all supports for midi. Once time i trying to find mobile with tracker supporting in default, without any plugins. But it is no...
So, modern html 5 is supporting for canvas-drawing and it unleashes for programmers of games with graphics. But for sound support an audio(), fool mechanism for mp3, not supports for midi even! So, it is a crisis. About sound industry too small care. :?
But in the exe with direct sound all mechanism is difficulty. And simple use bass/fmod liblary.