Ramping of samples when ramping is set to zero

Started by Inavon, April 21, 2010, 02:05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Inavon

When Modplug Tracker plays samples, it ramps up during the beginning of the sample for a very short amount of time, maybe a millisecond. It usually doesn't have much effect on the quality of music. However, kick drums often have a "click" at the beginning that gives it it's punch. With the beginning of the kick ramped up, the click is missing, and, as a result, the kick loses it's punch. I can tell that samples are ramped up at the beginning because of the way they sound. If the beginnings were cut off, the speakers would probably move suddenly from the center to the position where the sample starts to be played.

I have checked to see if I had the ramping setting at 0, and it was at 0. The beginning still ramped up.
I have no sig—wait, what this?

LPChip

It seems you removed the template, which makes it harder for us to help you.

For instance, we're missing the version you've experienced this problem in, along with a description on how to reproduce the problem.

Would you mind creating a new topic and leave the template in tact filling it in as good as you can? That'll help the devs being able to actually fix the issue. I assume you would like this to be fixed, right?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Did you check the per-instrument ramping or the ramping option in the setup? If the per-instrument ramping is set to 0, OpenMPT will use the default value from the Setup (check the "Player" tab), which is normally 42 samples. So setting the instrument ramping to something low (like 1) might fix the problem. Do note, though, that instrument ramping only works in OpenMPT, so if you want to spread module files, you should rather (or additionally) note in the comment text that people should disable ramping for your modules.
In other news, coda has added a new ramping algorithm to his own MPT code, which only applies ramping at the end of a sample and not when it's triggered. Such an option could solve problems like this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Inavon

Thanks, Jojo! Setting the ramping to 1 fixed the problem. I'll remember to keep the template and other necessary things next time.
I have no sig—wait, what this?