[uplifting trance] Signal Chain - To Rise In The World

Started by psishock, April 15, 2010, 17:50:07

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Now this piece was a hell to make, it took several weeks to construct and brain about the happenings. There are a huge amount of automation and instruments involved, tried to archive powerful and "natural" sounding as possible with my knowledge. Also i've faced annoying hardware and memory limitations all the time, so i had to render some of the stuff to samples and done some heavy solution workarounds to be able to work further (all the softsynth and fx instances would take about 3.5-4gigs of memory in real time i guess).
But, who cares about the troubles :D, i'm happy that i've finished it finally. Finished good songs gives inner strength to compose more. It will needs some further minor polishing on some places, but i would say 99.5% is done, so its quite much listenable.

composing tools haven't changed, the trustworthy alliance of Renoise and FM8, and we have some grand piano here and there.

Enjoy people:
Signal Chain - To Rise In The World
http://psi.lp1.nl/music/Signal_Chain_-_To_Rise_In_The_World.mp3
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

cool track, although I would have appreciated a stronger bass drum. The one you use just rumbles a bit in the background here (and my speakers are not really bad). but apart from that, it's nice uplifting trance.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Nice, at ~4:00 you really let it get loose.
No prob with the kick here. I think in some parts it just isn't used.
(No, I always have my monitor sys with a flat EQ..)

uncloned

I love the sounds but not the trancey pounding.

I apologize.

Oliwerko

Yep, from ~4:00 it really makes me stomp to the rhythm.

I also like the beginning. The sound you made really creates "space".

I am with uncloned in the pounding. I find it too much exaggerated. Around the mentioned 4:00 it's ok, but early and late in the track, it takes my focus away from the other elements of the track.

I am not much into trance, but this track is something different, I like it. Thumbs up  8)
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

psishock

Thanks for checking it out :D

Sam_Zen: yea i work/listen with flat eq-s too, but i am aware that some people prefer more stronger, exaggerated kicks in EDM. Also, i've figured that i dont have to hold up the "best moments" all till the end, but can release the pressure any time when i feel is "right".

uncloned: hah, you dont need to apologize for anything. :D You are very much welcome to like or hate any part of my songs. Not everyone is compatible with the "pounding" genres, and that is ok, we all have our profiles.

Oliwerko: you know that if i say "trance" or other genre for example, it doesnt mean that you will feel the same experience, that you could do from the other musicians. Many of them work with cliches, im always trying to create unique, inexperienced atmospheres.

Zaphoid

superb production as always.  Your piano solos are a dream to listen to.  I like the sidechain compression happening on the vox type synth in the background.

Harbinger

Notes as I'm listening:

Typical sound by psishock (and i don't use 'typical' in the derogatory sense), symphonic treatment of trance music, with textures from high-passed filters, echoing pianosynths, and heavy on the sidechained FX. At time you want to dance, and then you want to cogitate. There is a noticeable lack of melody, and subtle chord progressions (the chord roots are not very pronounced). At about 6:30, the journey begins to have purpose it seems, with moments of reflection, but then the chord progressions stop so that the song may close.

As is normal for psishock's beats, everything is very well-considered, but i sense a lack of inspiration. Technically it's beautiful, like Liszt, and like Liszt, it's devoid of anything memorable -- something i can take with me when the music stops. I sense that our esteemed composer is going thru a transitional phase, and is working on technique so that when true inspiration does come, he'll be ready to bring it along in this world, to our ears in the perfect setting.

Great for background music, but i don't see myself thinking, "oo, let's listen to this!"

psishock

Your intuition is godly accurate Harbinger, everything you've said reflects the true. You never cease to amaze me with that.

This piece was heavily lacked of inspiration, about 60% was done with "hit or miss" testing. That's why i've deleted and reconstructed most of the parts for weeks and rewrited the whole thing over and over, 'till i found it appealing. I've really wanted to get through this one, but just couldnt do anything better with it, no matter how hard i've tried, and i really tried everything i could came up with. :D So i've figured, that at least i can do my best with the structure, technology and with the timbres. That's why i've had plenty of time to consider every millisecond of it. Any experience i gather from any type of composing will come handy later on. I just cant stand down and do nothing for too long, ill try to push myself while its possible.

Quote from: "Harbinger"Technically it's beautiful, like Liszt, and like Liszt, it's devoid of anything memorable -- something i can take with me when the music stops.
Liszt was a Hungarian guy too, so i guess it's blood related in some way. :lol:

Nahkranoth

Even if it got no memorable parts and focused more on technicality it's still a pleasure to listen. In my own psishock-dedicated chart it stands right after "Royal", which is my favourite piece of yours.

Nothing wrong with the kick, it kicks ass in my headphones and tears the sub when I dare to listen through something more serious :D

Rakib

<3

Just listened to this song again after a long time. Must say this was a masterpiece. The melody at 4.00 is superb.
^^

Barachem

WHAT A CH00N!!!
Entertaining, gripping, creative, nice, melodic, innovative and more words i cannot come up with.
Definitely far better than most uplifting trance nowadays.
Just keep producing on your own and keep away from record deals, they'll most probably suck the life out of your productions.