[Assigned] Instrument envelopes control MIDI CC/Plugin Param

Started by g, May 01, 2009, 21:48:38

Previous topic - Next topic

g

It would be super cool if we could add envelopes to instruments for controlling MIDI CC:s. Even more super cool if these could be executed simply by entering instrument number, that way we wouldn't have to enter Zxx as much, get better precision (without silly speeds) and no need to clutter the tracking window with envelopes. Sorry for bad grammar but I think you understand.

If it causes file format issues, perhaps it could be added as an option for the third envelope (which can now be either filter or pitch, maybe it could be filter, pitch or Midi CC)?

Saga Musix

Sounds like "automation". I really like the idea. Might be an option for the MPTM format.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

g, are you aware that you don't need the silly speeds?

You can smoothly go between values by using the \xx command instead of Zxx.

Even if you use a speed of 80bpm, you can easilly archieve smooth slides.

Basically, when using the \xx, the command will ensure that it was slided to that value at the end of that tick (row). If you use the interpolate effects command, you can get very good slides.

You enter a \00 at one place and a \7z a few rows down. You make a selection, right-click -> interpolate effect and voila! Change the first \00 to a Z00 to have the best effect.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Even though there's \xx, this is still a nice idea :P Having a visual representation (and yes, I'm aware of the effect visualizer) as an envelope which you can change easily would be an awesome idea.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

You know what would be really cool? Having a completely separate 'type' for automation, like there are separate categories for instruments and samples. That way, when you put down an 'automation' object, you could choose its MIDI channel and parameter, and you could reuse the same automation object in various places.

In other words, turn an 'automation block' into an object in its own right which you can reuse in various contexts.

g

Quote from: "LPChip"g, are you aware that you don't need the silly speeds?

You can smoothly go between values by using the \xx command instead of Zxx.
For smoothness \xx is fine (especially with modern tempo), but what if you want to do a quick up and down slide in less than a row or a slide that's not linear? Also, while I'm pretty comfortable with hex numbers a curve is more visual.

The reason I suggested it'd be implemented in the instrument is that I thought maybe it would be easier to implement with the current MPTM. So just like the current instrument envelopes, except controlling midi macros was the idea (not that I'd mind improvements like barryvan's idea).

Saga Musix

I just wanted to note that this is already partially possible in the current OpenMPT 1.20 test builds ("partially" because it might require that the instrument has some [empty] sample slots assigned), and I hope that it will work regardless of sample assignments in the final version of OpenMPT 1.20.

Saga Musix

Just to give an update, in OpenMPT 1.22 you can control macros using pan/vol envelopes. This still requires a note to be triggered in the pattern and filling that channel with Zxx from top to bottom, but at some point I want to have the same functionality without having to fill in those pesky MIDI macros everywhere.

Rakib

^^

Bogzla

Quote from: Saga Musix on May 05, 2013, 13:06:16
Just to give an update, in OpenMPT 1.22 you can control macros using pan/vol envelopes. This still requires a note to be triggered in the pattern and filling that channel with Zxx from top to bottom, but at some point I want to have the same functionality without having to fill in those pesky MIDI macros everywhere.

Could someone give me (or point me in the direction of) a 'dummies' guide on how to set this up?
I've got the hang of controlling parameters using Zxx Macro Configuration and SF / Z effects in the patterns, but can't for the life of me see how to link that with volume envelopes?  :-\

cheers!

Saga Musix

https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Macro_Configuration
Set up a macro containing the letter "u" instead of "z" and use it on a channel where some instrument is triggered (it doesn't need to be sample-based).

Bogzla

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 10, 2018, 14:18:57
https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Macro_Configuration
Set up a macro containing the letter "u" instead of "z" and use it on a channel where some instrument is triggered (it doesn't need to be sample-based).

Ah! Got it now, thanks  8)