[Piano Trio] Ariel's Theme (streaming -- sorry!)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, March 22, 2010, 01:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Some of you may know (or know of) Josh Whelchel -- another scene muso. Well, in addition to writing music, Josh is also the organiser of the annual Indie Music Cancer Drive, which produces the "Songs for the Cure" album each year. Like last year, I was involved in this album, contributing a track. Unlike last year, however, the track I wrote is exclusive to the album (for a while at least). But you can stream it!

The track is entitled "Ariel's Theme". It's a piano trio (my first in a very long time). Writing a piano trio is a very different experience from me -- I find it challenging, but in a very positive way. Placing restrictions on what I can and can't do forces me to be more creative. Thus, this piece is, perhaps, more musically developed than a lot of my stuff -- there's more thematic and timbral development throughout.

Speaking more technically, this piece is the first one that I've written that makes use of some of the new instruments and features in Kontakt 4 -- specifically, the solo strings.

I apologise that I can't provide a free download of this track -- I should be able to do so in a few months. In the meantime, you can listen to the track online, and, if you're feeling generous, purchase it. Bear in mind that *all* of the proceeds of the sale go straight to funding cancer research (after bandcamp takes its cut). Josh and the IMCD don't take any of the money.

Sam_Zen

BeautifuL
A solid reason to ask money for a full data hi res download

uncloned

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way.

It is a pretty melody.

I think if the accompaniment was removed piece would be the same in emotion and content. So I wonder what would happen if the harmonic context was changed.

bvanoudtshoorn

@Sam_Zen: Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it -- I do believe that it's a worthwhile cause.

@Clones: Not taken the wrong way -- I'm always interested in getting feedback that's not necessarily ebullient. :) How do you mean, "if the harmonic context was changed"? Can you elaborate?

uncloned

The harmonies don't seem to push the piece along. The melody has the lead of the music by a long margin and the harmonies are very subordinate to it. In a sense that is very folk music like where the chords exist just to support the melody and have almost no importance. So, going by that standard, the chords could be entirely missing and the melody would stand on its own.

Listening again this morning my impression is not so stark for the latter 3rd as it was on the initial 4 or 5 listens.

This really isn't a negative comment - more an observation. The melody is very pretty and you have a talent for writing those.

Chris