How export Instruments used in midi to use in mod or xm?

Started by nasty, March 25, 2010, 23:06:58

Previous topic - Next topic

nasty

Hi to all,
i have a question ...
What is the correct way to export the only used instruments (bank or VST) in a midi songs to use in future in the tracker as wav samples?
There is a software or plugin that can be used to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

nasty

Thanks for reply!
Sure i know this .. but this not export or better not "render" the sound currently setting in the midi (example not standard bank or VST used);

The problem is not converting the music but exporting the instruments used in midi (when they aren't the standard).

psishock

ummm....whacha mean "when they aren't the standard"? .MID format is a standard. :D
If you saved a MID with a special program that saves MIDs in special, non standard way, you can only open it with that program and edit, change it further. "non standard" MIDs cannot even be played with standard music players like winamp, xmplay and the rest.

a few stuffs:
- standard .MID dont have VST support. Cant load, handle, or store VSTs or VSTis, or their settings at all.
- .MIDs dont have internal samples, but are referring to standard soundcard or self preset sound samples used by the player. One .MID file can sound 100 different way, only depends how did you preset your custom sample soundbank on your player. Think about it as a plain paper musical score. Naturally, that dont have the actual instruments "stored" on it, only the list of the notes, and how should they been played on the referred instruments.
- you can import .MID files to open modplug tracker, then it will prerender all of the used samples (on the sample panel), and their settings (like the volume envelopes, check the instruments panel) from default "general midi" soundbank, which is included with windows. After the .MID load, you can directly export those samples to .WAV example.
You can pretty much do this with any sequencer/tracker/daw that supports .MID import (some of them should handle midi import even nicer than OMPT), but all will only happen, if you have standard .MID format. If you saved it on some special nonstandard audio program with VSTs and other nasty modern stuff, well, you are simply bound with that program, to open, play, or change them any time on the future... =)
- you may thought with the "they aren't the standard", that you want to render out chosen samples WITH their settings, like the volume envelopes, velocity, pitch and the rest. Well that is not really possible because the output of these settings may vary with the score, its not a fixed thingy. Most of the cases they have example sustain loops, or normal loops, that can be controlled directly from the "score". These (and the other scored effects) are nice and easy ways to do nice variations with 1 single sound, because the player engine will do these changes on the sample in realtime, depends on the effect it reads from the score, at the chosen moment. Thats why they aren't prerendered in the first place, you dont know how will they sound, and this way even the file size is dropped dramatically.

nasty

Thanks for reply and thanks for lesson!
But you not understand well my problem or maybe that i bad explain.
I know what is a midi file and what is an SFX file.
My "target" is export the actually used or assigned instruments bank !
However, after some search, i have found a software that have this feature so you can understand what i exactly need; The software is Renoise and is commercial (and sincererly now i cannot buy this);
If you go there:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Render_or_Freeze_Plugin_Instruments_to_Samples

you can see explanation of this feature that Renoise latest release have .. this is what i need.
Now the question is .. there is a similar software that do this??

Thanks again and see ya!

psishock

Ohhh, now i understand, you want to render out VSTi sound patches (that you found on songs), to .WAV samples right?
Well, one way to do that, if you dont have too lot of sounds, by simply entering a single note on an empty pattern (with the chosen VSTi of course), and render that pattern out. :)
You can do this in openMPT, or with any DAW too, that supports you VSTi. There are other methods too of course, but this is actually quite easy for me, so i didnt searched for additional ways. Too bad that VSTi render is disabled on Renoise demo, it would make it even easier.

LPChip

You'll have to create a pattern with one note playing your vsti/midi, with a note-off if desired, and render that to wave. Repeat everything till you got all samples created.

There isn't really a more simple way unless you're going to buy software.

Xlutop Chainer also offers this functionality.

I have once seen a plugin that offered this capability too that was free, but it was very buggy. That plugin is http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/

It basically allows you to load in a vsti and then freeze its output to a sample inside highlife so it won't take cpu usage anymore.

But when I just wanted to load a sample, it loaded a stereo sample mono by putting the second half of that sample on the right track and the first half on the left. Obviously that sounds weird. I wanted to use it as a sampler, but it failed its mission for me.

Btw, if you just want to save your sounds for a future song, but you don't mind to load the VSTi's again, remember that you can also save your presets! That way, once you load a preset back, it'll set the vsti to those settings it was the last time.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

QuoteXlutop Chainer also offers this functionality.
lol really? (checks it and founds it) Omg is there anything that can't be done with chainer? :D

LPChip

Quote from: "psishock"
QuoteXlutop Chainer also offers this functionality.
lol really? (checks it and founds it) Omg is there anything that can't be dont with chainer? :D

You can't use it to fly home... but otherwise, not really :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nasty

psishock

It was our pleasure :D
Make a lot of pretty babies.....err songs, lot of pretty songs in the future. =)

LPChip

Quote from: "nasty"Ah!

Thanks!!!! a lot!!!!

Just out of curiosity, how did you solved your problem? Or are you still checking out how to go from here?

nasty

Hi LPChip,
sorry .. but in other words you suggest me the name of the softwares that can resolve my problem ..
Sincererly i not understand what are you trying to say with "how to go from here" however seems that now the problem is resolved (for sure i need some time now to check and use the software, export the sounds and rebuilt the songs using the exported sounds, instead of the VST and or instruments banks).

so .. Thanks for help ..