[Generative] Generative Music experiments (web-based)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, March 21, 2010, 08:28:50

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted anything here...

I've been playing with some of the new features available to web developers, such as the <canvas> element and HTML5 audio. This is the first result of that -- a JavaScript generative audio system that uses particles moving across a map to trigger samples in the browser.

It's an experiment, and I'm quite happy with it -- the results are quite soothing, to my ear at least.

Note that because I'm using new features, you'll need a decent browser (not IE), and that because I've only encoded the audio in OGG, you'll need to use Firefox or Opera to view the demo. I recommend Firefox >= 3.6 and Opera 10.5.

Blog post
Direct link

Have a play with the settings -- bear in mind that if you enable quantising, you'll want to increase the verbosity. Oh, and be aware that pushing the settings too far could break your browser. :)

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Looks cool !
FF had some dips in the sound, but I have a slow system.

bvanoudtshoorn

@Jojo: Thanks! :)

@Sam_Zen: Yes, it can hurt your system... Unfortunately, the whole HTML5 audio and canvas system wasn't actually built to do any of this, so it's not quite as efficient as it could be. Glad you like it!