Matching tempo's

Started by ThePointingMan, March 06, 2010, 23:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePointingMan

How is it done? If you have a sample you want to use, what are some ways of matching up the tempo of your song, and the sample?
Sleep would be a good idea, to bad I have better things to do.

Rakib

Use time stretching to match up with the tempo for your song. So if your song is 100bpm and the sample is 150bpm, you have to strech it 150%.
^^

ThePointingMan

Oh, Thank you, I never noticed that time stretch thingy.

Saga Musix

Time stretching is extremely lossy. If you can live with pitching the sample up and down (which will not always sound great either, but in most cases it works), you can try something like this:
- Set the correct song tempo and add some bass drum or equivalent sample on every quarter note, so that you have a constant beat.
- Put the loop in question on another channel.
- Roughly transpose the loop up or down, until it maches the song tempo roughly (i.e. the loop is only slightly too fast or too slow).
- Proceed with finetuning. Increase or decrease the sample's frequency by a few hundred hertz (f.e. initially 500hz, then 400hz...) and do this until the loop plays perfectly.

Also, if you're working in MPTM format (recommended) and you know the loop's BPM, you can simply use the Pitch/Tempo lock feature on the instrument tab.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ThePointingMan

Quote from: "Jojo"Time stretching is extremely lossy. If you can live with pitching the sample up and down (which will not always sound great either, but in most cases it works), you can try something like this:
- Set the correct song tempo and add some bass drum or equivalent sample on every quarter note, so that you have a constant beat.
- Put the loop in question on another channel.
- Roughly transpose the loop up or down, until it maches the song tempo roughly (i.e. the loop is only slightly too fast or too slow).
- Proceed with finetuning. Increase or decrease the sample's frequency by a few hundred hertz (f.e. initially 500hz, then 400hz...) and do this until the loop plays perfectly.

Also, if you're working in MPTM format (recommended) and you know the loop's BPM, you can simply use the Pitch/Tempo lock feature on the instrument tab.

Alright, Thanks a lot! I was having trouble with the time stretching method because I didn't know what the tempo's where, but this works very well.