What is your avatar?

Started by Squirrel Havoc, February 28, 2006, 08:14:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Once again, I try to get to know more about yous guys, so this is where you post info about what you avatar is, and why you use it.

My old one (here) is this picture of the actress Fairuza Balk, which I cropped and painted in GIMP. I used that because people always comment on how nice my eyes were, but I didn't think so, so I wanted to show people what a pretty eye is.

My old pic of a squirrel is self-explanitory  :?

My current one is just a simple flower and nothing more, to remind people of the beauty in nature, and how simple things can be nice. I can't seem to find the original pic I took it from, but I removed everything but the flower, softened the edges, and modified the color a little.

All my other avatars have usually been screengrabs from movies, just used to try to be funny  ::)  :oops:
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

Mine is plain and simple. Its my logo. :)

I also use this avatar:

, which is a drawing made to present my name. I made it to show off with my graphical skills :P but also because I couldn't used the contrasts of my logo due to a dark site. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Electrolyte

Wow, quite a lot has happened since I've been away. I'm hopefully more active for now on though :)

My avatar is a hand drawn image (not done by me, but by a friend of mine) of a character I play as in a game. It's actually a very small cut-out from a much larger drawing that was done for my 17th birthday.

Randilyn

Quoterandi~

My avatar is my name (or close enough) overlaid on top of an abstract background.  It was very slightly inspired by Wong's avatar.

DavidN

And my one is of two of my set of Elements symbols that I invented for a game project. These two represent Universe and Chaos.

Atlantis

Mine is part of a Dynaudio AIR 15.

A monitor I don't have.

I'd use a picture of me, but I can't be bothered resizing it. :P

Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

Squirrel Havoc

Once again, why am I not surprised? Atlantis has high quality speakers as his avatar :)

Those look like some nice speakers, are they studio monitors, or bookshelf stereo speakers? I always wanted studio monitors, but then I might hear how crappy my music is, so I just have Creative 2.1 sound system for my computer, and cheap Bose/Infinity speakers on my stereo in the living room.

EDIT: I just checked out your website, dude you've come a long way since I first knew you. I knew you back in 1999, when you were still a punk kid tracking, now I'm a loser adult tracking and you've made something of yourself :) One thing I noticed on your website is the mentioning of papers written about mixing/mastering. Any way we can have a peek at those? I've heard your work, and I would love to even come close to that sound quality on my audio workings.
-

Atlantis

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Once again, why am I not surprised? Atlantis has high quality speakers as his avatar :)

Those look like some nice speakers, are they studio monitors, or bookshelf stereo speakers? I always wanted studio monitors, but then I might hear how crappy my music is, so I just have Creative 2.1 sound system for my computer, and cheap Bose/Infinity speakers on my stereo in the living room.
Sure, the AIR 15's are studio monitors from Dynaudio Acoustics. I have the BM5A's myself, certainly not wrong either:

QuoteEDIT: I just checked out your website, dude you've come a long way since I first knew you. I knew you back in 1999, when you were still a punk kid tracking, now I'm a loser adult tracking and you've made something of yourself :)
Well the site is a bit outdated, but I'm both in the process of building up and running an online mastering studio, working with some big names already. You can find some of the more recent stuff on my MySpace page.

QuoteOne thing I noticed on your website is the mentioning of papers written about mixing/mastering. Any way we can have a peek at those? I've heard your work, and I would love to even come close to that sound quality on my audio workings.
I've tried writing numerous tutorials over the years, the most recent and insightful of which you can find here (in its incompleted state of course, since none of them are actually finished yet, and I'm not really sure when they ever will be).

EDIT: Oh, I see you meant "papers" as in university papers. We call that "subjects" here, as in papers that make up a degree.
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

Atlantis

Btw, about the topic, I just noticed the board accepts avatars bigger than 80x80 now, so I changed it to a picture of me. 8)

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Atlantis"Btw, about the topic, I just noticed the board accepts avatars bigger than 80x80 now, so I changed it to a picture of me. 8)

Maybe that's because they don't host the files anymore. Cool pic though...
-

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Atlantis"I've tried writing numerous tutorials over the years, the most recent and insightful of which you can find here (in its incompleted state of course, since none of them are actually finished yet, and I'm not really sure when they ever will be).

Talk about a cliffhanger! I learned a lot about EQ'ing and things like that (I don't use SSF, I use Audacity, but it has some of the same features). I would really like to see more of it whenever you get the time.

EDIT: Oh, I see you meant "papers" as in university papers. We call that "subjects" here, as in papers that make up a degree.
You confused me with that, I mean projects, or assignments or stuff that you write down on paper or the computer and turn in to school to get graded, heh thats what I meant, and I was thinking putting some online, like a PDF file, would rock.
-

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

<== stupid kao-ani (japanese smiley)
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Atlantis

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "Atlantis"I've tried writing numerous tutorials over the years, the most recent and insightful of which you can find here (in its incompleted state of course, since none of them are actually finished yet, and I'm not really sure when they ever will be).

Talk about a cliffhanger! I learned a lot about EQ'ing and things like that (I don't use SSF, I use Audacity, but it has some of the same features). I would really like to see more of it whenever you get the time.
I really don't know. Maybe never actually. I kind of started writing those tutorials about half a year ago, but I've since moved so far away from mixing, let alone learnt so much more about mastering and post-production in general that a lot of the information just isn't up to par anymore. Sure I could revise everything, but then what about half a year from now? That and I'm already far too low on time.

QuoteYou confused me with that, I mean projects, or assignments or stuff that you write down on paper or the computer and turn in to school to get graded, heh thats what I meant, and I was thinking putting some online, like a PDF file, would rock.
Oh, the most I got out of those few music papers were probably a couple of now badly written essays - nothing you'd miss.

If you want my number one advice though, it is to turn the volume down. :P

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Atlantis"If you want my number one advice though, it is to turn the volume down. :P

That's probably good advice, since I'm a normalize freak. But I don't normalize to 100%, you gotta leave room for EQ and other effects in players, and you might get clipping.

One question, was it you that said cut is better than boost when it comes to EQing? I never understood that one.
-

Atlantis

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "Atlantis"If you want my number one advice though, it is to turn the volume down. :P

That's probably good advice, since I'm a normalize freak. But I don't normalize to 100%, you gotta leave room for EQ and other effects in players, and you might get clipping.

One question, was it you that said cut is better than boost when it comes to EQing? I never understood that one.
What is this, an ask the multiband professor any question topic now? :P

I wasn't specifically talking about normalising. Just that turning your monitoring volume down will help you to hear things better, allowing you to make the right decisions, not to mention saving your ears in the long run. About normalisation, check nearer the end of this topic on CTG:

http://www.ctgmusic.com/topic.php?id=5829

As for your other question, I also answered this on trance.nu a while back:

http://trance.nu/v3/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115400