Settings of OpenMPT should be really reliable (no registry)

Started by Poser, February 22, 2006, 00:21:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Poser

Hi,

after reinstalling Windows all of my modules sounding different than before :-(

This is because the own sound settings of mpt like eq/surround/bass/delay are safed in the registry (?) and after a crash lost forever...

I've read in the todo-list that this is planned... so when can we get this fix?

It's really annoying that all those settings are not safed to keyboard.ini, modplug.ini and sounds.ini or something like that.

Also after installing a new version of mpt every own settings must be re-done... so why not distributing a version which checks the older settings and to adopt them over to the new version so the user can immediately re-use the tracker?

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Poser"Also after installing a new version of mpt every own settings must be re-done

I've never had a problem with this, I just download the latest beta, and overwrite my old beta, and everything works just fine
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

Didn't have any probs either after re-installing MPT somehow, but I agree, that using the registry should be avoided as hell.

rewbs

Hi Poser,

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Quote from: "Poser"Also after installing a new version of mpt every own settings must be re-done

I've never had a problem with this, I just download the latest beta, and overwrite my old beta, and everything works just fine

Indeed that is not true, you must be running into some other problem.
When you run a new version of MPT for the first time, the settings window will pop up, but the settings themselves will be preserved (apart from the treeview status which can get corrupted when flipping between very old and recent buids, as pointed out by Sam Zen). Which two builds are you using which kill each other's settings completely? More info please.

Regarding moving all registry settings to ini, I'm hoping to have a first go at this in the next build (which should be within the next couple of weeks).

Snu

if you are using modplug's eq, reverb, or something, the songs will sound different if the player settings are lost, or on another computer... thats why you dont use those when writing :)
all the song and plugin settings are saved with the song, the player settings are not. if you want your songs to always sound the same, use vsts instead of mpt's built in effects.

the one thing that kinda bugs me is the pre amp, different settings on that can affect the sound of vsts, and the balance of samples to vst (maybe it doesnt anymore in the new mix modes? did you fix that rewbs? im too tired to check right now... -_-).

i look forward to the new registry-less version rewbs!

Poser

Quote from: "Snu"if you want your songs to always sound the same, use vsts instead of mpt's built in effects.

Harhar, you know that is really circular and complex. So then i must add at least 5 more effects to all of my modules....

I'm looking forward to this modular plugin-manager because working today with the effect-dropdown-box is more than out-dated.

[/quote]