Sample Chainer VSTi?

Started by the_ief, March 01, 2010, 11:44:08

Previous topic - Next topic

the_ief

Hi there,

I have a question (since there are so many vst experts here)

Is there a good Sample Chainer/Combiner? I've found Osiris XT (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2780.html) which is great.
But alas limited to 2 samples.

Does anybody know if there is a VSTi that chains/combines more than 2 samples? (like xlutop-chainer -> only with samples)

Thanks in advance!

LPChip

If you have Xlutop Chainer, you can add samples to it by using a sample player. For instance, sfz can work.

An alternative would be Kontakt, Battery, etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

the_ief

Thank you for your reply.
I will definitely look into sfz and chain it with xlutop

LPChip

Quote from: "the_ief"Thank you for your reply.
I will definitely look into sfz and chain it with xlutop

I do it too, and it works great, especially since sfz can use .SF2 files! :)

What I usually do is create an instrument in OpenMPT with various samples, then export it to an .iti and use Awave Studio to convert it to an .SF2. I then load it into sfz and do with it what I want. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I dunno if I got the question wrong, but wouldn't any basic audio editor which allows to mix audio together be enough here? Instead of having to buy software which is worth a few hundred euros together (if you'd go for xlutop and kontakt, for example), you can simply mix all samples down into one sample and even save a lot of space. And it also just has to be done once.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

not really, we're talking about composing here (if i got this right), so we need to have everything flexible and changeable on the fly. We aren't sure of the right structure, length, effect and volume percentages until the very end of the process. A simple audio editor does a "destructive" job with every move that you make with it.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Well, if there was, like, a sample mix feature in MPT's sample editor, would that maybe help more than an external audio editor?
I dunno about you, but I tend to mix samples and stuff during composing, so I don't think it's actually a big problem. Often, I do this by loading all the samples into a separate module file, create a small pattern, play all samples at once and save that pattern to wav and load it into another module. That's not really destructive, and it's fast.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

QuoteWell, if there was, like, a sample mix feature in MPT's sample editor, would that maybe help more than an external audio editor?
Hmmm, not sure that pure sample mixing would help, but is we extend this idea, to some "group instruments", it could do the trick for this sace. Basically you could trigger multiple instruments with single notes and instrument commands.

QuoteI dunno about you....
I used to have every sample (or VST instrument, im actually trying not to work differently with samples at all) intact while working with them, and use a chain of realtime effects, or envelopes to modify them, and many times changing, messing with the settings on these effects over composing, or more better, automate them with an lfo or linear automation lines.

Im kinda a guy, who likes to have everything on 1 file while composing, with the clear source of every used instrument or sample at the beginning, and the line of the implemented effect chains, modulators applied to it, and change, automate most of them all the time. Not entirely a fan of scattered workspace and "finalized", rendered effect modulation. Think of it like having a full program source in front of you to mess with any part of it, rather than working with embed libraries or plugins, that can be also changed individually on their corresponding program, but they are usually "fixed" compiled products.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)