good news for FireFox users

Started by psishock, February 23, 2010, 08:59:35

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Hey guys, i've just found out 'bout this:

Pale Moon Project
http://www.palemoon.org/

Basically it's 100% firefox source based browser, but has a specially optimized code for modern processors and windows, so the page opening, rendering speed is significantly increased while the memory consumption is lowered. Its totally compatible with your old fox stuff, just install, fire it up and everything will look the same. Have fun with it, i think the developer guys did a very good job, i love it so far. :gjob:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

If you want speed, I suggest Chrome.
^^

Saga Musix

I will not utter my opinion about Chrome here, but one thing is for sure: Chrome is not so much faster as everyone claims. Over at Nectarine Radio, we have some JavaScript-heavy pages on the backend (there's a javascript that puts all 20000+ songs that are in the DB in a HTML list) - while Firefox hung for a while and was finished after a minute, Chrome (or to be more precise, Iron) didn't respond for several minutes - I finally gave up then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheEagle

Quote from: "psishock"...so the page opening, rendering speed is significantly increased while the memory consumption is lowered....
Well, ok, but the chart compares the versions 3.5.2 which are outdated. Would be interesting to see a comparison between the current versions (3.6.x).

psishock

Rakib:
Im following and have Chrome 5, Opera 10.50 beta, IE8, Minefield3.7a2, FF3.6, and now Palemoon among some other minors, so i exactly know how fast and feature rich are they. :)

Chrome doesn't have so much customization and rich extension database as FF have atm, the extra speed it has, is insignificant now. I've tested it with latest builds of Palemoon and Opera for instance. To be honest, Opera 10.50 beta is the fastest atm if you're checking javascript charts
http://i47.tinypic.com/2mgw6tv.jpg
(i've made each test with the exact same config and settings, so its not a faked show-off chart), but i care about real speed also, not to speak 'bout features. Now, firefox is testing in latest minefield nightly builds a totally new technology, that separates the plugins and some web elements in separate threads (mozilla-runtime.exe), so a significant stability (if a plugin dies/crashes, the site, the tab, and the browser stays alive, only the web element reports that something has gone wrong with the plugin, and you may restart it) and performance increase can be expected after its perfected out.

Here is how my firefox looks like now, personally customized (and has some number of plugins that cannot be visually shown, but extends the functionality in great  way):
http://i45.tinypic.com/2amao6.jpg
its has a lot more clean and fast working area then even Chrome has. I work 100% with mouse gestures, the most fastest and cleanest way, even in other windows programs.

Quote from: "TheEagle"Well, ok, but the chart compares the versions 3.5.2 which are outdated.
lol, i didnt even cared about the charts on site. Test it with real webpages, with your own computer. As i've said, i have noticed the performance boost right away. Its real.
If nothing else, it consumes less memory than firefox thanks to the optimizations, that is useful alone, if we are ditching the other improvements.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"I will not utter my opinion about Chrome here, but one thing is for sure: Chrome is not so much faster as everyone claims. Over at Nectarine Radio, we have some JavaScript-heavy pages on the backend (there's a javascript that puts all 20000+ songs that are in the DB in a HTML list) - while Firefox hung for a while and was finished after a minute, Chrome (or to be more precise, Iron) didn't respond for several minutes - I finally gave up then.

Jojo, thats not a bad webbrowser, thats bad webdesugb :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

I do also have IE8, Opera 10.5 beta and Firefox in addition to Chrome. But I think you guys are blinded by only looking at the javascript speed and not the overall user experience. I feel that browsing with chrome is much faster than firefox, and not to mention the start up time. The main factor that made me switch was the extremely long start up time with firefox. In these term is probably Pale Moon much better than Firefox but nut enough for me to switch. I also prefer the clean and slick UI that chrome has.
^^

Saga Musix

Quote. But I think you guys are blinded by only looking at the javascript speed and not the overall user experience
Wrong. I was just taking this example because it was a nice example that V8 (Chrome's javascript engine) is not necessarily as fast as Google claims. What makes me use Firefox is its great customizability, especially because of extensions like AdBlock and NoScript, which make this world a better place.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

As i said, i dont give a damn to javascript or chart numbers, but looking for real speeds. =)

Describe plz "extremely long firefox startup".
Here it will start after 2-3 seconds, and after that windows will keep the essential files in in memory, so any further opening wont take any noticeable delay, its instant. That "first start" delay is also noticed with Chrome or other browsers too, but it's a totally insignificant value. A few secs does not matter, and after first start, it will go, so you can open, close the browser at will, any time.

QuoteI also prefer the clean and slick UI that chrome has.
You've seen my linked firefox picture rite? A browser just cannot be more cleaner than that, it has only the 3 essentials: addressbar/bookmark quick keys in one row, and the tab bar on second. No titlebar, no menu ittems, windows buttons, no nuttin that will take precious space away. You can take the bookmarks away if you dont prefer them, to me they are very essential for fast work.

Jojo: yep, as i've said too. Winz over customization possibilities and rich extension database to chose from. The speed is also really much fine, havent noticed any slowpoke browsers to be honest nowdays, everyone is pushing their engines to top levels.

Saga Musix

Yeah, Firefox also takes maybe 2 to 3 seconds to start up here, and I let it run all day, so what are 2 to 3 seconds every 24 hours?

psishock

LPChip: its not civilized to talk with full mouth :D, finish your meal then say whacha hafta sai. =)

Sam_Zen

Someone at the IrfanView forum made a browser test

Rakib

^^