[scene] Strophinger (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, February 18, 2010, 04:05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

This song will be part of the album "Sketches of pain" as well.

Strophinger : 3:00

Tools :
- Rebirth 2, PXS, OMPT 1.18
Composition :
- I saved a short phrase made with Rebirth
- Stretched it with Paul's to 1 minute
- Loaded as sample in ModPlug, tuning the speed to a one pattern duration of this 60 secs.
- Started the sample one octave lower from the second pattern on
- Used bits of the same sample to add some sounds during those 3 patterns.

uncloned

YES!!

This sounds great Sam! You packed a lot in the the first 1:50 - the pace slowed down considerably the last minute - was that the relaxation before the final shock of the (almost) orchestra hits?

PXS makes things sound so huge - I love that!

uncloned

are there a few modulated synth samples in here?
- makes me wonder what a ring modulated sound would be after PXS.

on 2nd listen - are there two copies running out of phase in the 2min plus area?

Sam_Zen

No other samples are used. But I have to correct my description.
I checked the IT base of this, and I used the stretched track as 2 different samples,
because I transposed the track a fifth down with CEP, to be used as the 2nd sample, with the same duration.
Both are started simultaneously, so in phase, also in the second pattern, then both as C4.
The short sounds coming by I made with 'notes' mainly in the very high octave range, using strong arpeggio sometimes.

You're right about the strength of PXS. But we should be aware of the fact that this hugeness could be a weakness as well.
This was done with a dull cheesy Rebirth thing of 7 secs.
Thus any sh*tty piece of sound can turn into an impressive 'ambient' output. Without much effort, if any.
So I try to stay quite withdrawn to use PXS as an easy 'hitmachine'.

uncloned

over done anything can be a negative - like the "autotune" effect.

most of the output of PXS sounds so similar as to make it hard to tell apart.

However - with some effort in controlling the output with the input I think something worth listening to could be made

What I had thought you had done was paul stretched a number of samples as we had discussed - it seems now you just manipulated two PXS samples?

Sam_Zen

Order of manipulation :
- saved a Rebirth sequence of 7 secs. into a wav file - Stretched it with PXS into 60 secs --> sample 1
- loaded sample 1 in CEP, and transposed the file a fifth down with the same length --> sample 2
- loaded sample 1 and 2 into OMPT

Quotemost of the output of PXS sounds so similar as to make it hard to tell apart.
However - with some effort in controlling the output with the input I think something worth listening to could be made

Right on. That's where the finetuning with the several settings of PXS enters.
The dialogs about base frequency, filter, time envelope, harmonic content, the stretch multiplier, the Binaural beats..
There's still a lot to find out.

AlisterFlint

enjoyed it alot, especially the contrast between first part and 2nd one. and the final hit is totally unexpected..

uncloned

Sam,

Here, at the end, I PXS stretched a ferret vocalization

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3621.0

I think it was effective without being too reliant on PXS

After everyone (including me) applies PXS to everything in sight it will just become another tool.

Sam_Zen

That's right how it's going to be.
It's exciting to watch a sport moment with a ultra speed camera, but one can't watch the whole game like that.

Saga Musix

What components did you use in Rebirth, if I may ask? Just the 808/909?
This sounds pretty interesting. Especially the fifths. Hard to believe that there was no real orchestra involved. :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

You may ask anything, Jojo..
I'm not sure about the sections of Rebirth I used. Just the default setting. The original phrase is here

OT : I remember starting uploading tracks in the OGG format, causing quite some hassle.
I'm glad that it has turned out to be more and more accepted as an alternative for the MP3.

Saga Musix

Ok, so that's all 4 sound generators then... two TB-303s, one TR-808 and a TR-909.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

This is excellent Sam, i was totally amazed by the power behind the piece. It sounds so wide and complex :shock:. Everything is well placed and sounds very professionally engineered. Congratulations! I totally love this piece.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)