scrolling patterns while playing

Started by darwin, February 21, 2010, 00:07:21

Previous topic - Next topic

darwin

Many trackers, including some that play .IT, such as Renoise, scroll the patterns when playing, always showing which line is being played.  It would be nice if OMPT did so.

Otherwise I cannot really even use it, because I cannot remember all the notes in a whole song and what their structure is, and how they should be changed depending on what it looks like.  Some people need to see the visual relation between notes to understand the temporal relation and how they might have to be modified.  So, a tracker that does not scroll seems to restrict itself to a very few of the top musicians but not all of those that may become extremely skilled through practice but maybe were not musicians early in their life, so maybe they think a little differently than natural musicians.

Saga Musix

Before making feature requests like this, you should probably study the tracker at least a bit ;)
You probably have "follow song off by default" enabled in the settings, which would turn off this feature by default.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

darwin

It sounds you are saying it does have the feature I requested.  I had discussed with someone who has mainly used OMPT for years and said this is why I cannot use it, and he suggested making a feature request... maybe he did not know or did not understand what I meant.

Actually I had been running the tracker in WINE... and I am used to DOS-style trackers like FT][.  It took a while to get used to but I guess I should have paid more attention.

Harbinger

Definitely take a look at the newest release of the Offline Help Manual (OHM) -- check the sticky in the General Chatter section of this forum. You are exactly the type of user i intentionally created it for! :wink:

darwin

I found the manual, but it said I needed to login.  My account name here did not work, and I saw no place to make a wiki account.....

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.