[hardcore] Tribute to Scooter (ogg) second LMMS tune

Started by Louigi Verona, February 16, 2010, 11:36:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Okay, this is my second tune on LMMS, this time not a very serious one, just some happy hardcore kinda tune with wide concert-like sound, a real tribute to Scooter (a German techno band, in case someone does not know). The whole point of this tune, apart from having some fun, was to test LMMS TB-303 alternative LB-302 and also try to make a decent gate effect (which did not work as well and I had to do the workaround).

The ogg rendition is here:
http://www.louigiverona.com/files/samples/TributeToScooter/TributeToScooter.ogg

uncloned

ok for what it is - I don't really like the genre as you know.
(sounds extremely well done and typical of the genre)

what is LMMS?

Rakib

QuoteWhat is LMMS?
LMMS is a free cross-platform alternative to commercial programs like FL Studio®, which allow you to produce music with your computer. This includes the creation of melodies and beats, the synthesis and mixing of sounds, and arranging of samples. You can have fun with your MIDI-keyboard and much more; all in a user-friendly and modern interface.

LMMS - Linux MultiMedia Studio
^^

Saga Musix

So where's the TB-303? That fuzzy distorted little thing? Not very convincing if that's the closest it can get. Especially Mr. Scooter used a lot more aggressive and cool 303 sounds. Apart from that, this is neither hardcore nor happy hardcore, but a fairly nice dance track.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Well, what can I say. Scooter use the real TB-303. In FL Studio they have TS-404, which is not more convincing than LB-302 in LMMS. But it is okay and it sounds quite nice. I guess comparing any software version of TB-303 to the real thing is not a good idea.

Saga Musix

Well, most of those emulators really just emulate the basic 303 sound - which is already quite hard to achieve, but what's more important is proper aggressive distortion and delay, which are completely lacking here. Those are not part of the 303 anyway, but they are an essential part of the classic acid 303 sound.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Hm. I cannot agree. TB-303 can sound very different. If you listen to Scooter's first album "...and the beat goes on", there you will hear a lot of TB-303 which sounds a lot like in this tune - try the track "Faster Harder Scooter", for instance. LB-302 does have distortion and it is quite heavy, but I did not apply it too much.

Saga Musix

i have to say that i can't spot any typical 303 sounds in that track, but maybe that was just the typical lofi youtube experience... This one has some clearly audiable typical usage of the 303 (not only for scooter, but in general): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvsHo4NPNo

Louigi Verona

You probably listened to Faster Harder Scooter from the 2005 album, there is a same song (much better one) from their first album "... and the beat goes on" with the same name.
But Move Your Ass is a good example. Beautiful TB-303 sound ( not all of its distorted, btw). Obviously, neither TS-404 not LB-302 do not come close to the richness of the original thing. But really, I am not arguing it is, I am saying that TS-404 and LB-302, made as alternatives to TB-303, sound alike, which is a good sign for LMMS devs. How close can you get to TB-303 with those software tools - I am not an expert. So you are right there, no argument from me.

Louigi Verona

hellscion

Sometimes in order to see the light you have to risk the dark.