[lofi/electrosomething] 20051018 [Mp3] Piano and synth ...

Started by fisk0, February 20, 2006, 21:28:33

Previous topic - Next topic

fisk0

I couldn't think of an title for this one. Anyway, this is a song I made last year, and I have no clue of what genre it is.

It was, as usual made in ModPlug Tracker with some VST effects.
The sound quality is rather poor, but even this was nearly enough for my old beloved computer to handle (at the time a P2-400Mhz, nowadays a P3-900 underclocked to 650Mhz :).

I'm quite happy with this one, though I haven't managed to get an satisfying ending to it.
Well, well. You can download it here: http://medlem.spray.se/fisk0/music/jms-20051018-2.mp3 (or http://medlem.spray.se/fisk0/music/ and jms-20051018-2 ... some people, but not all, seem to get hotlinking errors otherwise).

And by the way: It's a 256kbps Mp3 at 2:08 and 3.9MB

Sam_Zen

The crash-sound indeed is somewhat distorted.
I've got intrigued by the under-clocking. Why is that ? Most people would search for overclocking a machine.

fisk0

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I've got intrigued by the under-clocking. Why is that ? Most people would search for overclocking a machine.

The computer lasts longer that way. As the cpu never gets close to dangerous temperatures it works several years longer than if it is overclocked. And it's easier too underclock it too, and, when I feel I absolutely _have to_ get better speed I can always change it to run at normal speed.

I don't like changing computer every year like most people seem to do.

But of course, I do feel that my computer is a little bit too slow sometimes (when I'm using too many, or too advanced VSTs, or rendering stuff in Lightwave), but not nearly as often as I'm surprised how (for being underclocked) fast and stable it is. :)

Sam_Zen

Thanks. Nice explanation.
And I see no reason too to change the machine and the OS as long as everything works fine.

LPChip

Stability is the only reason why you'd ever want to underclock. Even if a computer will last longer by being underclocked, the development in both hardware and software goes faster and faster. Your computer won't be dead, but you're need to change it in order to run the newest software. If you don't run the newest software, there will be a point in which you'll find that you're left behind. Everyone makes these new stuff using these advanced tools that do everything x times faster etc...

But: If you buy (or put together yourself) a decent system, you can make it stable by having the right components, and don't need to underclock at all.

Its really funny how much a proper CPU cooler can do instead of the usually default ones. The difference can be a real stability issue.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
A matter of personal priorities I guess. To me, faster and faster, is not that important. Reliabilty and functionality prevail. Of course I found it nice too, when my new set does a complicated thing in the wav-editor in 2 minutes instead of 15 on the old one. Speed musn't be a goal on itself (maybe in formula I races), but it has to serve some reason.

And I certainly won't feel 'left behind', if I decide, that my toolbox is perfectly in shape for the things I want to realize, while the race goes on. That would be a stupid psychological mistake.
And you're right about the proper cooler.

fisk0

Quote from: "LPChip"Stability is the only reason why you'd ever want to underclock. Even if a computer will last longer by being underclocked, the development in both hardware and software goes faster and faster. Your computer won't be dead, but you're need to change it in order to run the newest software. If you don't run the newest software, there will be a point in which you'll find that you're left behind. Everyone makes these new stuff using these advanced tools that do everything x times faster etc...

But: If you buy (or put together yourself) a decent system, you can make it stable by having the right components, and don't need to underclock at all.

Well, it is a custom made system. I don't really need to underclock, I just felt that 650Mhz is enough for what I usually use my computer for, and that my earlier 400Mhz was just a little bit too slow. But then, in my opinion, the biggest difference in speed is made by how much RAM memory you got.

And about me and the computer being "left behind" isn't really a problem. You really don't need all that extra cpu if you don't want to play the latest games or do some heavy 3d rendering or making entire songs out of VSTi's and VST's - which I don't.

As far as I know, the man behind the belgian ebm/synth/whatever band Suicide Commando still uses an old Atari machine with an extremely out-of-date version of Cubase to master his songs, and yet it sounds great (but of course that could depend of which kind of music you're playing).