Copy, Cut, and Paste Order Contents

Started by Really Weird Person, January 27, 2010, 22:15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

I noticed that when orders are copied, cut, or pasted, it is simply the number that is affected. It would be nice to see these functions affect orders' contents as well. This would be useful if the contents were going to be pasted in a secondary set of channels (for example channels 5 - 8 instead of channels 1 - 4).

Saga Musix

Revision 1560 changes the order copy feature so that the pattern contents are now copied as well: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

Hmmm — the implementation isn't exactly what I had hoped for. I was hoping for it being the equivalent of pressing Control-A followed by Control-C, but with more than 1 pattern.

Saga Musix

Uhm, you can do exactly do that? Press Ctrl+5 (or Ctrl+A or whatever "Select All" in your key config might be), press Ctrl+C, and you have all patterns in your clipboard. Isn't that what you want? If you want to copy only certain parts of multiple patterns - I fear that's not possible.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

What I am talking about is copying patterns in the horizontal plane and pasting them in the vertical plane. Example: If pattern 10 contains 64 rows and pattern 20 contains 32 rows, when they are both copied, the total number of copied rows should be 96. It would look like copying one pattern containing 96 rows of data, but it would be split into 2 patterns in ModPlug Tracker's order list. I tested copying orders in the new version and pasting them in version 1.19.00.21 and it behaves how I want it to. This is extremely beneficial since the new versions do not accept pattern quantities in the hundred thousands or millions.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Really Weird Person on March 24, 2013, 11:48:17
This is extremely beneficial since the new versions do not accept pattern quantities in the hundred thousands or millions.
Neither does OpenMPT 1.19, or any other prior version. So please speak clearly, can I mark this feature request as resolved or not?

Really Weird Person

For what I use it for, I think that this is indeed resolved. Regarding pattern quantities, without source code modification, ModPlug Tracker has not supported more than 4,000 patterns since version 1.18.02.53 (as the 65,000 pattern limit was viewed as a bug and thus was reduced rather than being accommodated for within the code), but even with code modification, versions beyond 1.19.00.21 don't support pattern quantities in the hundred thousands or millions. They produce runtime errors and terminate. That is why I don't use them for productive song arranging. If that was changed (and I could arrange songs with hundreds of thousands or millions of patterns), I would use them. Honestly, I would like to them because there are some major improvements (such as the fixing of a bug which caused the Follow Song checkbox to become uncheeked and the order to not advance upon use of the Find function and the increased pattern editor width) (thus fixing the display bug when using ModPlug Tracker with more than 2 displays). However, the runtime errors make them almost useless to me. I am aware that such lengths are difficult for you to comprehend or are incomprehensible for you, but if you took a moment to do (and not simply see or hear) what I do, you would understand it. Likewise, if I used VST plugins, I would understand what you go through. It has been stated perhaps many times and perhaps in many ways, but it's true. You do not truly understand something that someone is going or has gone through until you are going or have gone through it yourself.