MPT is distorting my music

Started by Module, January 06, 2010, 20:35:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Module

Dear ModPlugTracker developers!

I speak english just a bit little.I'm using this program about 9 years,but there was aproximatley 3 years what I'm skipping.But now I start again the music editing.I want to make a Thecno music,and I have a problem.
The problem is: the record quality is not very good.I using 29 channels,and 15 instruments,at the moment(only on the first pattern!)When I save this pattern in 16bit-stereo WAV,and I'm listening it back with Winamp,the result is depressive.The all of record is not very good quality.It is:how can I say...Blunt!Yes! it will became blunt,not clear..
Listen my dears,this is the best tracker in the world,I know it,and besides a very good musicmaker,but the sound quality!If You make a few version,this is the think what You could change.Thank You!I love MPT 4ever

Module :lol:

Saga Musix

You're probably using a different pre-amp level than 3 years ago (check this in the setup -> soundcard), most likely a higher one. The sample pre-amp a big problem and that's why you should switch your module to mixmode RC3 (that can be done in the "song properties" dialog that can be reached from the general tab). When in mixmode RC3, the pre-amp slider will be ignored. Instead, you will have to turn down the "vsti vol" and "sample vol" sliders on the general tab, until the module does not distort anymore.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Module

My Inital global -VSti and samle vol is 128. And I was in RC3.But its the default!I was in default set!

Saga Musix

yes, that's too much. if you're in Mixmode RC3 (which I stronly suggest), I'd use something like:
- Global Volume 128
- VSTi and Sample 32.
When changing the VSTi slider, you will only hear a different if you're using VST Instruments. If not... just forget it. Those are good start values. If you want to, you can drag them up a bit if output is too quiet, but be aware when rendering your module to wav, so that it doesn't distort again.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Module

32? Ahha.. They was in 128.Ok I try it.But its not became a little quiet?

Saga Musix

if it's quite, turn the volume up, no problem. but 32 is normally sufficient in mixmode rc3.

LPChip

I always turn the global volume up to 128, other two are 100 I think, but I do use chainer with effects to ensure I'm not going over the 0 db range. Lowering these volumes is a very good first step.

If you want more insight, go to kvraudio.com and search for a VST plugin called inspector. Hook it up to the master (select a slot, and check master) and play the song with the window open (press edit to open the plugin)

Watch what the meter says. If its showing that the VU meter is going all the way to the top and giving 2 red blocks, its clipping (aka reaching 0db). Lower the volume until that stops. (click the red boxes to reset them)

If the volume then is too low, there's another thing you can do:
Try Buzzroom BuzMaxi. This is a free limiter/maximiser that allows you to easily boost the volume but not distort the sound. As a result, the sound can change to an unwanted level, but you have a lot of control over this process.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Module

Thank You so much the answers!I try them :idea:

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Module"it will became blunt,not clear..
I'm not sure what 'blunt' means there, but in case this is not about distortion caused by bad volume settings, perhaps the 'WFIR cutoff factor'-setting in setup->player might be worth checking.

Really Weird Person

Another thing you can consider is using a different sound format, e.g. RC2 insted of RC3. Now, I have not used VST-I, so perhaps that will not help, but It is a thought.

Saga Musix

It is NOT recommended to use original mixmode, RC1 or RC2, as I said before.

LPChip

Indeed, its not. It might seem fine at first, but it uses a volume slider hidden in the setup tab that is different for every user and that setting is not saved within the song. (pre-amp)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Module

Yeah,it's good.The sample vol is now on 32,and the track's quality is became good!It was too much on 128. THX the help!