Requesting help with getting a new functional site

Started by LPChip, January 23, 2010, 12:57:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 Paul : already there : "You can even draw your own samples!"
Yeah, I added that after he posted here. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Looked at the code, just simple code and no use of cms. Am I right?
^^

Saga Musix

Yeah, as it's just a temporary page. As the new page will be slightly bigger than two pages and I will (hopefully) not be the only one maintaining it, I will stick to Drupal. But no worries, the markup of the site theme I chose validates in the W3C validator and is also very simple and elegant (the CSS does most of the work). :)
Not as simple and elegant as my handmade code maybe, but still clean enough. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

MisterX

This is very exciting stuff.  I know that it has been ages since modplug.com was anything worthy of a destination.  Since that time, the content has grown stale, the site has been slapped by Google (try searching for modplug and see if it comes up before page 6 - bastards), and interest in it has been maintained solely by the members of this forum, it seems.

Realities of life have caused me to not have the time to work on the site that I used to.  Hopefully there is someone or a group of someone's who are in the position that I used to be in that can pick up the baton, so to speak.  I would love nothing more than to see a revival of the web site.  Although I wish to retain the domain for nostalgic reasons, I will gladly offer it to any project that promises to revitalize the site and keep it going.  The suggestions in this thread and others are very exciting.  Please keep it alive!
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Rakib

^^

Saga Musix

I guess I'll unsticky this topic now since most of the work requested in the first post has been done by a single person in little time now. Weird, why did it take so long - more than five years? I thought there were so many people eager to work on the new site since the crash! Did we ever see a single line of code as a result of this work?

Rakib

^^

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on November 16, 2010, 18:29:13
Weird, why did it take so long - more than five years?
There's no need to insult me like that. The first post states the problem. I made it a too big project for me to handle with the limited time I have. With the help I've got things just didn't get done, which is the reason I started this topic in the first place.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

You were certainly not the only person involved in this (though probably the most prominent one). Still, I think it was already clear in 2008 (if not earlier) that noone in the "site-builder" crew was really bothering to put something up. Why did noone realize that it simply didn't work out? This was no picnic for me, either, and I don't want praise for what I've done, but I just wonder why it had to be me who did all this, since there was a group of maybe five people "eagerly" working on the new system.

residentgrey

@JOJO: HEY! I have had a lot of shit happen in my life over the past couple years. I had more ups and downs than I thought possible (multiple terms of unemployment, car accident, etc.).

LP and I were looking throughout the Internet for the right solution to what he and the others envisioned a good while back. While I may have found it a few months ago, I am so out of practice it would take a few more to get proficient again.

The other 'issue' is that it's in beta, which I'm sure many would not accept readily. It's by no means a problem as my friend has already done some kickass things with his system.

When my friend gets back from honeymoon I'll see what the latest developments are.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Louigi Verona

I did speak to LPChip a while ago saying that in my opinion it is better to put up at least something up than develop a miracle, but this is just one of the ways to do it. Depends on the situation. One thing I would say - new site does not seem to be a necessity. Tracker software is needed, but by a very small audience and this forum seems to be enough for everyone involved.

In fact, once the new site is up, I personally am not sure it would be any different than this forum in terms of activity. I might be wrong, though, but TiS 2 sort of shows that even a very robust site can go dead pretty quickly.

residentgrey

That was my suggestion as well LV.

Resulting activity is a result of your cultivation.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.