I would like to Donate/Pay for Feature Requests

Started by oxxi, November 14, 2010, 19:45:17

Previous topic - Next topic

oxxi

There are some some features that I would like to be implemented ASAP.  I know coding is very time consuming and you guys probably can't code all the time but, I think you guys should setup something where some one could pay to get a feature implemented into Modplug. I think there would be a voting system for the requests and there would have to be a certain amount of  Donate-rs for each feature to be implemented. But Idk , it would be cool in a way, but if it stays the same that's super ok with me as-well.

////

Saga Musix

Of course it is an appealing idea which has also been proven to work with other projects in the past. In this context, however, I wonder how well it would work. The dev team is very small and I don't think you'd get another dozen developers just for the money (since getting familiar with the code really does take a while). On the other hand, the currently active developers probably do not have much more time for new feature requests, or wish to work on other things. I'd that this would not work in general cases, and just not with voting, because then everyone could just vote for implementing a coffee maker remote control in OpenMPT. We can never promise that a feature is implementable fast, so I guess a system like this really just works for individual requests, and probably not even for anything related to VST. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

I don't want the developers to want to feel obliged to implement a feature because I've payed for it. This is a open source project and is run by volunteers and not by a full-time developer like ardour (even though it may look that way by Jojos contributions). If there is a feature you really really want implemented I suggest rentacoder.com.
^^

oxxi

I figured that would be the case, being it is open source and all. At the moment I'm learning Java and maybe one day I'll be able to implement some features into Modplug :) but maybe I should just pay someone to implement a feature. It's just that the developers here are more experienced coding for Modplug, and they could make some extra cash if they need it. Any freelance coders!?  Anyways, I think the developers here are doing an amazing job with Modplug, so keep it up!
////

Rakib

Please submit your feature requests here:
http://bugs.openmpt.org/

I'm curious on what you want.
^^

oxxi

I've requested it a while ago. It's probably hard to implement, but I always need it cause I work in modplug all the time and I hate going back and forth between other programs. http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2564.0
It's a very, very useful feature, IMO. Also this one : http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3755.0
Basically I want the sample editor to have more editing features.
////

Harbinger

Wow, i WISH we could pay for certain features to be implemented, but as Jojo pointed out, the dev team is quite small. Plus, the code is very tightly written, as Jojo hinted, and requires not only some serious experience in C++, but also a thorough skill in dissecting code that's badly in need of refactoring (which is still underway). You also need to be able to have a good handle on using Visual Studio as the program can only built from the Standard or Professional version of VSC++.
I have come to learn C++ well on my own, and when reading the code, i get lost in the variables and functions. It's not well-commented (well, it was NEVER meant for learning the language or how to implement the concepts), and the functions are not classified properly IMO. You can do what i've done, learn C++ from some other example code modules (check sourceforge for that search), check out some C++ websites (cplusplus.com comes to mind), and learn it on your own. Get your own copy of the MPT source codes, and trudge thru them on your own computer, making changes where you think you can. If the build is good after you've compiled it on your own system, PM Relabsoluness or Jojo and discuss what you'd like to include. Of course, don't get your hopes up -- they are the arbitors of what is allowed into the source, but if the code is clean and makes using ModPlug helpful for a lot of users, you have a better chance of selling it, as it were. Keep in mind, part of the devs' job is to guardrail the scope of the program to some degree. And if they don't want to include your ideas into the source, it's not a dead end; consider starting your own build (of course you'll hafta keep up with that yourself). :)

Louigi Verona

And as an Ardour subscriber (pay the devs once a month) I can tell you that it does not work miraculously well there either. Some bugs which bugged me were never fixed.

residentgrey

one could start their own tracker program. I wanted to do something LIKE that a long time ago that was part sequencer as well, in terms of playing patterns inside of patterns, etc. Just vaporware i know, but still, it was a fun idea at the other end.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.