1.17.03.02 OpenMPT process remains after exit.

Started by LPChip, January 20, 2010, 22:30:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Thanks for the test case! I can now sometimes reproduce the problem and moved it to the Issue Tracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=37
I hope you don't mind that I attached the test file there as well (for future reference - nice clip btw ;)).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Quote from: LPChipI certainly have this with Miranda IM too. I sometimes close miranda, but the container window remains open. Other occasions it closes as it supposes to be.

I am guessing that you are referring to the conversation window, not the contact list, because the contact list stays open for you (though the windows are independent of each other, so you can close either of them with out the other closing). If they are both closed, the icon remains in the notificaion area. Something that I find kind of odd though is how it has a tendency to sign the user out by itself.

jmkz

Quote from: Jojo on November 08, 2010, 21:20:33
[...] I hope you don't mind that I attached the test file there as well (for future reference - nice clip btw ;)).

Haha, thanks!  ;D

PS: Does this bug will be fixed soon? (With hope of ;))

Saga Musix

I have no idea, and by that I also mean "I have no idea how to fix it".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

I suppose that something you could try is "Googling" it (i.e., doing a Web search, though it does not necessarily have to be with Google, although that is probably the most commonly used search engine on the Web).

LPChip

Quote from: Really Weird Person on November 09, 2010, 20:59:03
I suppose that something you could try is "Googling" it (i.e., doing a Web search, though it does not necessarily have to be with Google, although that is probably the most commonly used search engine on the Web).

I have already googled for this problem before I made the bug request. The only thing I see is stuff like: yeah, this happens to me too. Or this is windows related, I switched to linux. Not really helpfull.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

If it is indeed Windows related, then switching to Linux wouldn't help, because you would still be emulating Windows to run Modplug Tracker anyway (since there is no version of Modplug Tracker for Linux that I am aware of).

Saga Musix

Can you please stop talking nonsense? I have confirmed that this issue can happen with certain combinations of VST plugins, so there's no need to ponder about "googling" or "switching to Linux" (as using Wine in fact CAN help). The problem, as I was able to reproduce it, is related to the audio thread not being terminated properly, and theoretically this could just happen with other applications as well.

jmkz

I noticed that if after opening a song with the same plugins, but diferent settings (a combination that does not crash OpenMPT) and close the "buggy" song OpenMPT did not hangs. Something like:

1. Create a "not buggy" song with the same plugins, play and close.
2. Open the test (see here) song and play.
3. Open the previous created song and play.
4. Close the test song.
5. Play the "bug free" song and close.
6. OpenMPT did not hang.

LPChip

I've reported that I have this issue with Miranda IM too. When I recently changed a setting to make the window from borderless to default modal for the messaging window, the problem went away.

Now I do realize that this could just be a bug in the code of this particular plugin and that the plugin is not crashing anymore on exit, but perhaps there's a problem in the window handling that causes this. So for the sake of completeness, I report this finding.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Okay, I thought the problem went away, but it happened again in MirandaIM with this setting, so disregard my previous post.

jmkz

Related to the plugins settings, using a "not buggy" song. The orignal module of Transition Zone 2, has nearly the same plugins, and does not hang OpenMPT. I will post soon another test case (in a couple hours) to investigate more about this. Are strange things, so I am a little confused. Well, its the use of lots of VST's maybe, I don't know.  ;D

EDIT: typo err.  ::)

jmkz

Sorry "couple of hours"? hahaha  ;D (i forgot  8))

This new test module is "bug free" compare with the test case, has the same plugins but some more slots.

Open the test case and play for a while, and then load this new module et voilà! Magically this don't hangs OpenMPT

test27b.7z
md5:faf115ccc7aea70d5044ab50ae0f474b

jmkz

Jojo, I think that this and this topics has some relations, as the near situations. Do you think same?

Saga Musix

After a few tests with those files from the other thread, I was able to make OpenMPT hang on exit at the very same location in the code, so I'd say yes, they're related.