1.17.03.02 OpenMPT process remains after exit.

Started by LPChip, January 20, 2010, 22:30:17

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.3.02

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
I have seen this in .54 too I think

Description of the bug:
When I close OpenMPT it sometimes doesn't quit, and the process is still in memory. I know when this happens because I have a loader that first creates a P:\ share, then starts OpenMPT from there, and when OpenMPT is closed, it removes the P:\ share and then the batchfile terminates. If OpenMPT somehow doesn't close correctly (and an mptrack.exe process is still there, the batchfile doesn't terminate either. If I launch another OpenMPT instance, I have 2 mptrack.exe processes.

How often does it happen?:
Hard to say. Not always, but frequently enough. If you want to test it, download my portable batchfile that is in the download section, and start OpenMPT using that everytime you use it. It happens about 1 out of 5 times I think.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
OpenMPT, play songs (I've had it without actually editing) and close OpenMPT using the
  • in the top right. I am playing a song when I exit, which could be part of the cause, but even then its not always.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I've never encountered this problem, so it could be a plugin that's stuck or something.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

what os are you using? maybe that has something to do with it.
i havnt ever seen mpt hang on exit, tho ill keep an eye out for it.
how often does this happen?

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"I've never encountered this problem, so it could be a plugin that's stuck or something.

Could be. I'm using Xlutop Chainer, and it seems buggy in the latest builds.

To describe a few of this buggyness:
- When I use the multi-channel mode, it sometimes gets to a point that one of the channels suddenly stops producing sound for about 2 minutes and then it catches on again. This could very well be a bug in Chainer though, but I don't recall having this in earlier builds prior to .50

- When working, Chainer can sometimes throw in an exception (dispatch). Sometimes plugins in it causes this and I can no longer use the song. I blame the plugins for that though, but I've had once or twice now that with my normal plugin set, I got a dispatch error but After clicking it away, I can work normally like nothing happened.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"what os are you using? maybe that has something to do with it.
i havnt ever seen mpt hang on exit, tho ill keep an eye out for it.
how often does this happen?

Windows 7 Enterprise, but I've experienced it too with Windows XP 32bit SP3.

Frequency: approx. 1 out of 5 times.

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "LPChip"When I close OpenMPT it sometimes doesn't quit, and the process is still in memory.

I have seen that happen, though, as you stated, LPChip, it is a rare occurrence. Psst, hey, LPChip, perhaps the developers have Mac OS or Linux installed, so when Modplug Tracker was programmed, it was done in such a way that clicking (or tapping) the X simply closes the window instead of exiting the program itself. :lol:

jmkz

I have this problem several months ago. This happens to me even without a VST plugin, and i dont reported before because i always think thath is the development version (i'm talking since v1.17.03.02 to the newest)

LPChip

Quote from: "djmakas"I have this problem several months ago. This happens to me even without a VST plugin, and i dont reported before because i always think thath is the development version (i'm talking since v1.17.03.02 to the newest)

What OS are you using? Could be something Vista/7 related...

Saga Musix

FYI, I am using Win7 and it is not happening here. Some minimal testcase would really help a lot here..
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

jmkz

I'm currently use Windows XP SP3 with the latest updates, .NetFX, my computer does not support at all Win Vista/7.

Saga Musix

Really Weird Person

That is a good question. Most computers do support Windows 7 (even if they do not necessarily support Windows Vista). I would have to guess that if the computer does indeed not support Windows 7, it is an older machine. My recommendation to djmakas is to run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor. This will help you know whether or not your computer can run Windows 7.

jmkz

My computer runs slowly Windows 7, I have installed in a separate hard disk, personally I prefer Windows XP. The problem are some graphic issues, (I only have a i865 chipset) intergrated graphics which Win 7 does not support. My PC has only a half GiB of RAM DDR266. In my city it's hard to found another GiB of this memory taking off that this RAM is too expensive.
I would be grateful if someone could tell me how you can configure Windows 7 to have it as fast as possible with the following hardware:

ASRock 775i65G
80GB HDD SATA
Intel 531
512MB RAM DDR266
CMI8731 PCI Sounddevice

Really Weird Person

Yep, that is definitely an older machine (at least by today's standards, which do not involve the older Pentium line (Pentium 4 and below). Most newer machines have DDR2 RAM and gaming systems are generally equipped with DDR3 RAM. If a computer has a Pentium processor, it is likely a Pentium Dual-core processor. The most likely reason why the video is not working to its fullest is because the graphics processing unit (GPU) (which I would guess is onboard graphics based on the fact that a graphics card is not named) does not support Windows 7. I would recommend replacing the machine unless you are really "attached to" Windows XP. On many computers, Windows 7 may run as fast as Windows XP, but it is more enhanced (in some aspects) than Windows Vista. Actually, depending on what you do, you can purchase a computer with Windows 7 Professional and use Windows XP Mode, which will emulate the Windows XP environment. Windows XP Mode can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx. Do note however that Windows XP Mode requires at least the Professional edition of Windows 7 and requires that virtualization technology is supported by the processor (That does exclude the Intel Atom.) and that it is enabled. Virtualization technology is enabled in the system BIOS.

Saga Musix

djmakas, as you speak of graphic issues, have you tried turning off Aero?