[Atmospheric electronica] A moment of Numinous Beauty

Started by maleek, January 16, 2010, 22:53:47

Previous topic - Next topic

maleek

I made a song for KVR-Audios January compo. I wrote it with a non-tracker, a DAW called Orion. Shame on me! :lol:

Copy-pasted my compo entry.

"My January contribution turned into an instrumental which has a stronger presence of more acoustic elements to balance the electronic instruments, with the Xylophone and the persian instrument tār (تار) to name two examples. A less strict techno-inspired style of percussion can also be heard in this song. I recorded some field recordings too, which in the end boiled down to a subtle transformed element which originally are sounds of me walking on snow.

In this track I want to invoke a sense of wonderment in front of new beginnings. A positive tone and a sense of newness is hopefully something which can be felt while listening.

I sequenced and wrote this using Orion. I have made heavy use of my newly acquired Wusik Eve and Wusikstation."

Download it here.

mrvegas

A beautiful piece.  I think the title describes it quite well.  There was a nice change of feel about 2/3 of the way through.

How do you like Orion? It seems that many of the people posting music here started on OpenMPT but often post material made with other software, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Thanks for sharing this.

uncloned

Nice piece!

My favorite part I think is before the percussion - has a very floating sound.

maleek

Thank you both: mrvegas and uncloned.

I must say that I like Orion very much. I ended up buying it after all. :) Granted, it is a very different way of writing music then say Modplug or traditional trackers - but it has many things I personally want / need in studio software. Good mixing overview, good VST and VSTI automation (which still needs improvement, but this is looking to be included in Orion 8 ), incredible sequencer with great pattern based workflow. I have tried a great deal of programs to find what I lacked in Modplug, but in the end Orion just clicked. And this is primarly because of the sequencer and mixer.

Don't get me wrong. I still find Modplug to be great. I've used it over eight years after all. On my last "proper" netaudio release; on N0theen Compilation, I did all the work in Modplug. But mixing is definetly tough, autmation is hard and to get overview over VST chains is close to impossible if I am working on a big project. Still, I just love how incredible intelligent the Modplug graphical user interface is.

Orion can be demoed here btw.