set envelope position in MPTM

Started by Paul Legovitch, January 16, 2010, 09:01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Legovitch

In MPTM format instrument envelopes can be enabled/disabled by the S7x IT commands.
To have more control, would it be possible to add a command to set the envelope position which is already available with Lxx in XM format ?
This is a great command that I would love to use in the MPTM format.

If possible I'd like to be able to control the three envelopes independently, perhaps assigned to :
1xx : set volume envelope position
2xx : set pan envelope position
3xx : set pitch/filter envelope position

And it would be excellent if it could work with the #xx command to extend the value and control lengthy envelopes.

Saga Musix

Well, there currently no letter codes left... If the MPTM format already supported more commands, a bunch of other commands would already have been added.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Paul Legovitch

What about 1xx, 2xx, ..., 9xx ?
The XM format uses both numbers and letters, why is it that the IT/MPTM format cannot do that ?
Quote from: "Jojo"If the MPTM format already supported more commands, a bunch of other commands would already have been added.
I'm curious, what commands ?
I have also another question/request : is it possible to switch (in track) between pitch and filter for the third envelope ? I think instrument control commands S7D, S7E and S7F are still available (or are they ?).

Saga Musix

Due to various limitations that are currently present in the program, it's not very easy to just add number commands to the MPTM format, I think, but I actually don't know how much has to be changed to make it work. And with 0xx to 9xx, we would get another 10 commands, which might not be enough in the future - so instead, focussing on two-letter commands (like Renoise - hint: this is not related to the MPT vs Renoise discussions going on in the general chatter forum) would probably a better thing to do, instead of extending the one letter commands until you need 100 different keys to access them all.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Paul Legovitch

I see, and two letter commands would be great of course.

What about switching between pitch and filter for the third enveloppe, this would only require 2 fixed commands like :
S7D : set third envelope to pitch.
S7E : set third envelope to filter.
Possible ? I'm working with the third envelope as a sort of arpegiator atm and very often it sound as good for both pitch and filter, so switching in the pattern would be cool.

Saga Musix

well, the latter request is possible, I guess...

Paul Legovitch

Thanks for answering, it doesn't have to be put too high on the todo list either, but that would be cool yeah !

Saga Musix

Considering the latter request, I think some more thinks have to be clarified, now that I've had a brief look at how this could be implemented.

The question is:
- Should the envelope automatically be turned on when calling S7D/E?
My thoughts on this were: There is a separate command to turn off the pitch envelope, and there's one to turn it one. So two commands could actually be combined in one, so I'd say that the pitch envelope should also be turned on when S7D/E is called.

Really Weird Person

You can continue on the number row (since the pound sign (#) is used.

Saga Musix

As so often, you don't make sense. You should probably have a look at the code before telling me what works and what not.

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Jojo"so I'd say that the pitch envelope should also be turned on when S7D/E is called.
That's the best way to do it if these commands are temporary (can't be triggered before the note like SAx or SFx) and need to be effective in one row.
Now it doesn't really matter if you are planning to make S7D/S7E carried on like SAx (which could be great since it would allow to change the enveloppe in track then replay any pattern with this other envelope).

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "Jojo"As so often, you don't make sense. You should probably have a look at the code before telling me what works and what not.
You have a point there, Jojo. Perhaps I don't make sense (which is probably why features that I request are generally not implemented) and I have not seen the code in a long time.

Saga Musix

Paul, making it non-temporary would be confusing and too complicated anyway.

Paul Legovitch

I thought so, since all S7x controls are temporary that's only logical. And there's always the possibility to not add the instrument number for further notes.
Then please implement exactly like you said : S7D and S7E turn the third envelope on.
As for the description in the note properties (command list) I'd suggest :
S7D : Force Pitch Env
S7E : Force Filter Env

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"And there's always the possibility to not add the instrument number for further notes.
That's exactly the way it's meant to be used.