Using samples, and inputting them to the colums

Started by ProjectoR11, February 17, 2006, 01:43:07

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectoR11

I can t seem to figure out  how to get  sample sounds into my song, i noticed  the sample sound are the ones i want, not teh instrument sounds.

Most of the time when i MAKE A NEW INSTRUMENT SOUND, i alter it  to get my desired sound, and i input it, however when i go to play the song ina player  its not even the sound i want.

I would like to know what i need to  do to to get my samples inputted in there.

(ex.  i take  electronic snares  or bas from the list  and  drag it onto the samples table to form a nice sounding sound, better that  when i drag it onyo instruments  table thing...

Any one how to work such a beast? :evil:
wenps

LPChip

I can't really follow where your problem originates.

Are you able to make a bit of music in MODPlug tracker, and play it in there fine?

If so, then please note that not all players play modules that well as MODPlug Tracker. A good player that does play music kind of similar as in MODPlug Tracker would be XMPlay (www.un4seen.com). A bad player that really screws up modules is winamp. You can get some alternate input plugins, but xmplay is just alot better.

If I misunderstood you, please clarify what your problem is, with an example if possible.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ProjectoR11

sure i can make a song and play it with mod player and stuff....

im having trouble refining  my sounds...

for example a bass kick  under  teh instruments tab, doest sound  as good as when i input sounds under the samples tab.

so i can make the sounds i want under samples....but do not know how to input those sounds into the coloumbs .

basically i can only use the instrument sounds....
wenps

rewbs

When you add a sample you will be asked if you want to create a corresponding instrument. If you always say no, instruments should remain disabled and you can track with pure samples.

Having said that, there's no reason an instrument should sound different from its sample unless some instrument setting has been changed. Can you make a track available so we can take a look?

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
You have an example of winamp screwing up mod playing ? I like to know, because I don't like winamp at all, and this could be another reason for it. By the way, I guess JetAudio is also a good alternative for mod playing.

Quote from: "rewbs"instruments should remain disabled and you can track with pure samples
Is this so ? I always had the impression, that eventually the kb-editing in the patterns was done with the instruments.

This is a good topic, because this aspect of importing samples and then not using them but the corresponding instruments, is one of the quite difficult things while explaining OMPT to starters.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 LPChip
You have an example of winamp screwing up mod playing ? I like to know, because I don't like winamp at all, and this could be another reason for it. By the way, I guess JetAudio is also a good alternative for mod playing.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a song that plays differently in winamp than supposed. I experienced this with older songs that didn't had speciffic techniques, like filters, nna, etc...

Sometimes certain sounds were altered or even missing.

I haven't used winamp for a long time, and it might be so that in the meanwhile some stuff has been fixed, but nevertheless, winamp still is more cpu heavy than xmplay, and xmplay is very good on playing modules. Maybe the best player for modules rather than trackers. Even DirectX media VST's are played and filters, although XMPlay is still a bit different than OpenMPT as for filter timing.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rncekel

I remember a song I made some years ago, with only samples (no instruments). When played with modplug, it sounds OK (at least for me), but when played with winamp, it sounds awful; specially, a sax sample I have taken from a solo from Dick Heckstall-Smith, and sounded quite realistic in modplug, was a disaster in winamp. I have noticed many diferences from then playing .it files with modplug and winamp. And, of course, always sounded worse with winamp.

LPChip

Quote from: "rncekel"I remember a song I made some years ago, with only samples (no instruments). When played with modplug, it sounds OK (at least for me), but when played with winamp, it sounds awful; specially, a sax sample I have taken from a solo from Dick Heckstall-Smith, and sounded quite realistic in modplug, was a disaster in winamp. I have noticed many diferences from then playing .it files with modplug and winamp. And, of course, always sounded worse with winamp.

Yeah exactly. I had the same with a lead and background synth. The background synth somehow was played in front and sounded all wrong and weird. The lead were only a few notes being played of... awefull experience :P

Snu

i think winamp's mod player was significantly improved since version 5?
i installed bass plugin a long time ago tho - but i usually use modplug to play mods anyway.
the biggest issue i noticed with winamp was that the increase/decrease tempo  would be twice as big as in modplug - which would seriously mess with songs that had rubato (varying tempo)...