Nicklas Nygren Announces Release of Saira

Started by LPChip, December 12, 2009, 10:20:10

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Nicklas Nygren Announces Release of Saira

December 12, 2009 - UMEÅ, SWEDEN - Nicklas Nygren today announces the release of Saira for Windows PC, available throughout the universe. Nygren's latest 2D platform game uses a new unique graphical style of high resolution photography to create a lush and mysterious world. Developed almost as much in the outdoors as indoors, Saira relies heavily on recreating a beautiful universe with an 11-layer photo collage in a world that only Nicklas could create.

The eponymous Saira is a photographer who specializes in digitally capturing dangerous places and animals across the universe. For reasons unknown, she finds herself as the only remaining person in the entire galaxy. Saira has no weapons. She will use her mind, agility and camera to progress through seven star systems and over 60 well-crafted puzzles. Over two hours of originally-scored music will help her maintain focus and unlock one of six vastly unique endings.

Nygren, whose previous projects include Within a Deep Forest, Knytt and Knytt Stories, teamed up with French composer and designer, Yann van der Cruyssen--the latter having composed a large portion of the game's two-hour plus soundtrack. Although composed via traditional PC workstations, Saira's audio involved everything from portable game consoles to circuit bent toys and even artwork converted to musical instruments!

Saira is available for $17 USD on nifflas.ni2.se

About Nicklas Nygren - Nicklas has been creating music since the '90s and developing games for the last 10 years. He is also working with Nicalis, Inc. on the upcoming NightSky.

Contact information
Nicklas Nygren
business@ni2.se
nifflas.ni2.se

Read more about Saira!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

residentgrey

No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Nahkranoth

Already played the demo, what a cool and sometimes challenging game!

Louigi Verona

Uh oh. Nifflas goes proprietary... how sad.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Uh oh. Nifflas goes proprietary... how sad.

He wants this so he can work even more on games development and get out more games. Support this! :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

I really enjoyed "Within a Deep Forest", and am looking forward to this one.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Louigi Verona

I am sorry, I see no justification for releasing proprietary software.

When I download a Nifflas game I am used to sharing the games with my friends. Now, if I buy one "supporting" Nifflas, I am basically signing an agreement to dump my friends instead, since giving a full version to my friends will now be seen as an act of treason - poor game developer!

I see that I can buy a license for a friend. Which is an interesting philosophical move.
Basically, Mr. Mighty Game Developer there is telling me that I can maintain good relations with my friend if I pay 2 bucks. Curious situation. Why should my friendship depend on Nifflas, a guy neither me nor my friend even know in person? I honestly do not understand that.
Also, the friend license sort of assumes I have only one friend. Weird supposition. What if I have more? Can I buy several licenses? And when I do, are my friends bound to same restrictions?

You might say that Louigi Verona is now trying to spoil yet another great forum post. But this is what I believe in. Such EULAs, coming from a large game company, this is usual; coming from a person who you once shared a forum with and an occasional joke and who you thought drew lots of his inspiration from a sharing community is insulting and actually very sad.

LPChip

If you're so strongly against this, then I suggest to not buy it and miss out on great fun!

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Uh oh. Nifflas goes proprietary... how sad.
sigh...i saw that one coming. :nooo:
What about looking at it like this: Help your friend Nifflas? Or do you hate him with passion now?

Freeware is normally included in the definition of proprietary software. I cannot remember his games being free software or something like that before.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Why should my friendship depend on Nifflas, a guy neither me nor my friend even know in person?
If your friendship depends on you giving Nifflas' games to your friends for free, I'd consider getting new friends.

Louigi Verona

QuoteWhat about looking at it like this: Help your friend Nifflas? Or do you hate him with passion now?

I do not hate him. In fact, as a game developer he is a truly original artist. But I find his decision to distribute his games under a restrictive license an ethically wrong move.

QuoteFreeware is normally included in the definition of proprietary software. I cannot remember his games being free software or something like that before.

This is true. But there is a significant difference between programs that are tools and programs that are entertainment. For games it is more essential if non-commercial distribution is free - for a free software purist it is definitely not enough, but it is the lesser evil. I am not a free software purist, while I believe that principles of free software are the way to go, I see that it is not always realistic in a particular situation to instantly follow them, given the fact that we grew up with proprietary software.

Questions of open code are not obvious to everybody. But distribution is something that is very obvious. If I am told that I have to support the developer by refusing to share with my friends - and in fact, g even suggests I change my friends - I would prefer not to get into such a situation.
I mean, I know Nifflas from forums. I know he is very touchy about those things. I have lots of friends and if I like the game, I would want to share. Giving it away will make me feel ashamed for no good reason. And telling my friend - "sorry, mate, I can't give you this, it costs 17 bucks, so get your credit card and buy it" - yeah, sounds nice, right? It is not a matter of money. If Nifflas would ask for a donation of 17 dollars, I'd give it, just like I am supporting lots of music software I am using. In fact, this would be a very sweet thing to do which would make me feel very good about the whole situation. Paying 17 bucks and knowing that by this I am in a situation when I have to either betray my friends or betray Nifflas - nah.

So I guess I'll miss out all the fun this time. Besides, just tried to run demo under Wine in Linux and it won't run  :lol:

residentgrey

direct your friends to the demo and be done with it. game distro != rocket science.

Guy needs to pay bills. Let him do it. Maybe he can change to a CC license if you talk to him nicely. He's an easygoing person. NO PROBLEM.

EDIT: I just reread your last response LV...good point. Donation system instead would be a good compromise. I know I would pay. His games are fun!
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

LPChip

Until the 20th of Januari, its possible to get a discount. For only $12 you get a single license, and $13,50 for 2 licenses! (to get a friend one)