[piano/chill/electronic] Signal Chain - For a Wonder (.mp3)

Started by psishock, January 06, 2010, 14:19:22

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

lol sure, you made a normal sense. Actually the "change" effect is nullified with those strong sounds right on the beginning. If anyone, i could feel that definitely right away. But people seems to like it better this way (on other forums too), whenever its not my primary idea of the structure. But i think a much lighter start could just do the crossover for "both sides". Song can maintain the peaceful structure in the beginning, and people will have some fx and stuff, that points to the right tempo for them. 95% of the listeners demanded some pointers on the start, because they felt lost. Some much less aggressive start could just do the trick, and not ruin the 2nd "impact".

Thank you Katz, again, a very valuable comment that i highly respect.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

psishock

drilling it here, hammering it there :D

Now the intro is much shorter and even less aggressive, but kept the nice elements, plus the piano slowly begins to play right from the start.
I think its a good idea to keep the stuffs interesting right from the beginning, if i would start with only the piano part (without anything that hooks), the listener would feel lost or bored, they would most likely think its another tiresome piano thingy... while it's not what it tries to be. =)

And with this, the intro doesn't gives too much push, so the second impact still has its own power, that few minutes of piano solo should calm the listener enough, to enjoy the change with full potential.

Quote from: "uncloned"I especially like the parts after 4:00 where the piano speeds up
well that's the final parts where i bring out all of the interesting layers. I like to save the best for last, all the time. :)

uncloned

I still wonder if the sort of solo piano is a bit too long - but this is sounding nice. Lovely chord introduction from the string pad at 2:49  into the rush.

Are you using FM synthesis with this? Some of the sounds seem to me to be so.

psishock

Sure Uncloned, but i am using FM synthesis on every of my songs.
I love that technology (i knew it right from Adlib era), i've always created every instrument with it, percussion, leads, bass, pads, ect.  You can create so beautiful sounds, or even very hard and raw ones, just need to know the way, and what is that you looking for. And of course, you can always push the limit, how will it sounds, so it could have barely recognizable FM characteristics (or it will *have* them, if its intentional).

warphead

psishock

Oh, welcome to out very friendly Modplug Central mr. warphead, from China. ^_^

I'm glad you like the piece, have fun listening to other ones from any of us too. :D

You also compose, or just like listening to nice stuffs?

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

warphead

He He Yes swizerland :) Yes i make Music with Logic but the modplug Tracker is nice.

mrvegas

This has been a good night for Modplug forum music.  Wow!  Great production.  I don't have the different versions to compare, but this is really good.  I thought the intro was fine.  (I frankly have had enough of the dreamy, slowly building, layered pattern type tunes anyway.)

And I never thought I would hear myself say this, but -- cool beat.

As a side note, Renoise never really clicked for me, even though it has everything anyone could rationally want.  I eventually strayed to Sibelius to write music the old-fashioned way.  (Well, OK, no pen and paper.)  I still like to hear plain old tracker music once in a while, though.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Very interesting and innovative opening sonics, but then for way too long, an electronic piano meanders through a pointless and uncatchy soliloquy. Here there is no layering except for a background filtered percussion. Eventually a well-FX'd pad comes in with a considered kick rhythm to begin the song.
But no, the song winds down, having not really gotten started. If your "mind's ear" (that sense of where you expect music to take you as it progresses) were an airline flight, this song has you wandering at the airport, waiting for your plane to land and taxi up to the terminal, even though you see it out there circling the airfield.

Zaphoid

What you did here is wonderful to me.  I love the contrast of distorted and clean sounds.  Piano solo is captivating.  I only would soften the bitcrusher a bit. It seems to take things over to my ears.  

Anyway I enjoyed the listen!!!

psishock

mrvegas: thanks for the comments, and i'm glad i could introduce you to the term "cool beat" ^_^

QuoteAs a side note, Renoise never really clicked for me, even though it has everything anyone could rationally want. I eventually strayed to Sibelius to write music the old-fashioned way. (Well, OK, no pen and paper.) I still like to hear plain old tracker music once in a while, though.
As much as i like tracker music, i will still prefer to compose on Renoise 'cause of the very reason that you've mentioned: it has everything i can rationally wish for, and makes my composing sessions joyful and self explaining, rather than full of workarounds and figuring out handicaps. I'm not a nostalgic type of person, i will pick the most powerful tool that i can work with, and will stick with it until i find something more efficient.

Harbinger:
I know what ya mean. This is one of those songs that dont want to tell you much, or anything at all, but rather trying to describe (and bring) you to a given mood. It didn't took long and tiresome composing weeks also, it wasnt my intention in the first place, to over complicate the structure.

Zaphoid: im glad you've enjoyed it. ^_^ I love the distorted sounds so the crunchy sounds sounded fine for me, alto' i will (hopefully) able to remaster all my pieces sometimes soon, then i can listen to them on very precise monitors and do these fine tunings.