[Atmospheric synth] Into the Dawn (mp3)

Started by Oliwerko, December 26, 2009, 11:26:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

Hiya all,

After a few days of work, I came up with this track.
The idea behind it was the atmosphere. I wanted to do something mellow after all that fast dance things.

I believe that I am no more able to change anything in it, but I would be very grateful for any pointers of what I'm doing wrong and what to improve in the future.

Known issues:
- The first part is too long, would be better to build up at around 1:00, but I just couldn't get rid of any part of the melody, since I really liked it. Maybe getting a pad in the background or something would do the trick?
- 2:26-3:10 lacks change and is too rigid
- Fading of the fast theme back to the introductory one may be badly executed, I didn't know any other way.
- some others that don't come to my mind right now

You can get the tune here:
http://home.ooijer.com/ags/Into%20the%20Dawn.mp3

I put some heavy efforts in this one, so I would be glad if I took some lesson from it.

Thanks  :wink:
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Sam_Zen

Indeed the introduction could be shorter, the start is at 1:30.
At 2:26 you mean the added melody ''flutelike' one.
A sequence of notes is repeated three times here.
If you want change, transpose the last few notes to some higher or lower harmonic like a 5th or an octave.
This can have the function of announcing a 'break'.

Oliwerko

Hmm. The changes seem to be harder to execute then they seem.

I tried transponding as you said, but it's a sample, which sounds bad both lower and higher, either a 5th or octave. The nature of the sound made it sound weird, too.
And regarding the beginning - you suggest that the whole introduction should be cut, up until 1:30?
I am afraid of murder.

Sam_Zen

Sort of. You mentioned 1:00 but the introduction goes on till 1:30
Nothing wrong if things get a bit unusual at the end of a section.
A roll on the drums is also weird if it's done all the time, but useful to announce a change.

Oliwerko

Yeah, I meant that it would be good if the transition that's at 1:30 should occur at 1:00.

I'll experiment with transponding or another break-inducing ideas I might come up.

Any other things that are not in order with this piece?
I am afraid of murder.

Sam_Zen

Oliwerko

Heh, that's unusual  :D

Thanks for pointers, your help is very valued.
I am afraid of murder.