Thought for the Day => Golden Ratio

Started by uncloned, January 09, 2010, 17:01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

The golden ratio found in nano scale quantum constructs

"Here the tension comes from the interaction between spins causing them to magnetically resonate. For these interactions we found a series (scale) of resonant notes: The first two notes show a perfect relationship with each other. Their frequencies (pitch) are in the ratio of 1.618..., which is the golden ratio famous from art and architecture."

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2010/01/07/golden.ratio.discovered.a.quantum.world

Sam_Zen

One can find (or apply) the golden ratio in many things, so it's pitch as well..

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

yes, however, I didn't expect it on a quantum level where probability rules every movement and state of matter.

essentially a string of atoms, really energy fields expressed as probabilities, have a vibrational relationship of PHI - and not say, two - is to me astounding - at least at this time it is not obvious as to why this should be.

If you consider that the harmonics of a string (and most instruments) are a ratio of 2 - a ratio of 1.618... is rather counter intuitive.

Though this did re-spark my interest in my phi based scale - which I hope to play with tonight.

Sam_Zen

What's counter intuitive ?
The ratio of 2 is based on octaves, so it derives its own scales and harmonics.
But if 2 is inverted one gets 0.5, and if 1.618... is inverted one gets 0.618... Quite unique and elegant.

Another article :
http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/12/21/mystery.golden.ratio.explained

There's a Dutch 'academic' composer of electronic music, Jan Boerman, who used the golden ratio in many works.

uncloned

Well, perhaps its me - factor of 2 seems fairly straight forward.

It is easy to find that on say a guitar string - but try to find 0.618?

Now, here is a thought. Computers use binary - a language built on a factor of two. PHI is irrational, but I'd think it not impossible to use a numbering system base PHI, just like base two or base 10. After all, even though PHI is irrational if you take a ruler PHI still has a mark just like 1 or 2. So it should be possible.

I wonder (since this math is beyond me [I think]) what relationships would become obvious in a base PHI system that isn't apparent now.

Sam_Zen

Very nice ! That's what I thought , as a system base, a factor.

Quotea ruler PHI still has a mark just like 1 or 2
It sure should have, because it's a remarkable number. The only inversion with a difference of exactly 1.
In fact, there are 2 numbers to use : 1.618 and 0.618.
The first causing an ascending order of higher values, the second one a descending order of lower values as an order.

QuoteIt is easy to find that on say a guitar string - but try to find 0.618?
A matter of relocating the frets on the guitar I suppose, measuring the positions, as with the octave tuning.

maleek

The golden ratio and the mandelbrot fractal is two very fascinating which could perhaps even be described as mysterious subjects.

uncloned

the point about the ruler is that PHI is an irrational number

so technically you never can get *exactly* the right spot on a ruler or a guitar.

The idea though of using two tunings, one ascending (1.618) and one descending (0.618) is interesting - I wonder if it is possible to implement.

Now - I sort of used it as a base in that 12th root of PHI piece I posted at www.notonlymusic.com

makes me wonder about things like if the recession of the galaxies are multiples of PHI - if PHI and Plancks constant are related...

BUT - here is an argument I made in the microtonal tuning list....

PHI is irrational in BASE 10!!

It would not necessarily be irrational in every counting system - say... BASE PI - again I do not have the math to prove or disprove this conjecture but it "feels" right to me.

@maleek - hmm phi based fractals? that could be interesting

Sam_Zen

At least one can use PHI as a variable while rendering a fractal.