Free Orchestral Starter Kit

Started by KrazyKatz, December 25, 2009, 12:11:31

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

Soundsonline are offering a free starter orchestral kit if you fill out their survey, and also in hope of getting you to upgrade after trying it. I already own the Platinum Plus edition.

http://www.soundsonline.com/free-orchestra

Might tickle some of your interests.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Cool :)

I filled in the survey and am downloading as we speak. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

maleek

PPH

If someone figures out how to use the cross-sampling capabilities of the library, let me know.

Here's the thing. A french horn, for example, sounds different when its loud than when it is not. By that I mean the sound is actually different, not just louder. The EWQL library takes this into account. But in MPT, the only effect I see is this: if I place "v32" in the volume column, I get the soft sound. If I place "v64", I get the "hard" sound. Now, if I were using samples and wanted to make a crescendo, I'd just interpolate the values between "v32" and "v64". But that doesn't work with VST plugins. I therefore have no way of achieving the great effect of having a crescendo in which the sound itself changes. When I use this plugin, I'm stuck with macros to control volume. But the instrument volume of the plugin does not affect the sample that is being used. I tried MIDI CC 7 and MIDI CC 11, but it doesn't work. Maybe the plugin doesn't use it. Any ideas?
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Saga Musix

Quote from: "maleek"And it is HUGE!  :shock:   :D
I haven't tried it, but orchestra sample packs usually take up dozens of GBs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "PPH"If someone figures out how to use the cross-sampling capabilities of the library, let me know.

Here's the thing. A french horn, for example, sounds different when its loud than when it is not. By that I mean the sound is actually different, not just louder. The EWQL library takes this into account. But in MPT, the only effect I see is this: if I place "v32" in the volume column, I get the soft sound. If I place "v64", I get the "hard" sound. Now, if I were using samples and wanted to make a crescendo, I'd just interpolate the values between "v32" and "v64". But that doesn't work with VST plugins. I therefore have no way of achieving the great effect of having a crescendo in which the sound itself changes. When I use this plugin, I'm stuck with macros to control volume. But the instrument volume of the plugin does not affect the sample that is being used. I tried MIDI CC 7 and MIDI CC 11, but it doesn't work. Maybe the plugin doesn't use it. Any ideas?

You have to use macros. That's just about all you can do, at least for the moment.

Quote from: "Jojo"I haven't tried it, but orchestra sample packs usually take up dozens of GBs.

Yes -- normally between 10 and 50, but sometimes a *lot* more. The VSL "Cube" is 550GB, and costs around AU$12,000.

Rakib

Getting installation error, anyone else?
^^

KrazyKatz

Also at PPH: Unfortunately you are limited to using macros and even then it's tough. This is an issue I presented actually a few years ago to our at that time developer. It really boils down to better automation control. I would strongly vote for this as a priority.

When I think about it, I must have been insane, but I actually converted a tremendous amount of the instruments into .iti files to overcome this.
I had to create a new instrument set for each velocity ; so let's say I had a plucked harp: 80 samples, 5 different velocity switches.
So I had 5 different .iti files each with 80 samples. That's for the the plucked harp... Then the same for the rolled harp etc...

However my EWQLSO Platinum Plus Edition is 150Gb.

It eventually boiled down to me using sequencers more unfortunately since OMPT couldn't keep up with VST standards of other software.
I still however consider OMPT a better composers tool.

On another note, I think the starter kit uses the "Play" interface of the software. I have it, however I still just use my older Kontakt version. I'm honestly not too sure how well the "Play" interface works in Modplug and would be interested in hearing feedback.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

TheEagle

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I'm honestly not too sure how well the "Play" interface works in Modplug and would be interested in hearing feedback.
Well, it worked fine, until I wanted to close the interface window. The 'close-button' doesn't seem to work (OPMT version 1.17.03.02).

Relabsoluness

About PPH's problem:

I was wondering whether it would be possible to add a new VST volume handling behaviour that handles this. But I don't know the details how exactly the macros are used in this case; would it help, say, to be able to define the volume column to act as VST parameter control for certain parameter or is it more complicated?

g

Quote from: "PPH"I tried MIDI CC 7 and MIDI CC 11, but it doesn't work. Maybe the plugin doesn't use it. Any ideas?
If I understand the manual correctly, EW recommends using Midi CC 11 to control the dynamics. There are supposedly crescendo articulations (pre-recorded single note crescendos) and dynamic cross-fade articulations (controlled by mod-wheel (MIDI CC 01)) of some instruments in the full version that allows what you want.

I don't think this is a limitation of MPT, at least not this particular issue in this particular case.

The close button doesn't work for me either, I have to use the same button used to open the interface.

TheEagle

Quote from: "TheEagle"
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I'm honestly not too sure how well the "Play" interface works in Modplug and would be interested in hearing feedback.
Well, it worked fine, until I wanted to close the interface window. The 'close-button' doesn't seem to work (OPMT version 1.17.03.02).
Uhmm, I found out that a simple click on the 'editor-button' will let the interface' window disappear... :oops:  Sorry....

Anyway, the "Play" interface works fine in OMPT....

KrazyKatz

Thanks for the update Eagle. Glad it's working out.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

PPH

Thank you, guys. I do use macros, but I'm only able to control loudness, not timbre (that is, the volume doesn't trigger cross-fading between sample layers). I'll try what g says. I missed that in the manual.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============