Store pre-amp value in MPTM / IT

Started by jmkz, December 19, 2009, 12:08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkz

I have some problems when I making my songs, specially with the pre-amp value, some samples are too loud and others too quiet. This taking me angry, so adding this would make happy me and others too... Maybe this is insignificant but this appreciated.

Saga Musix

No, no and no. We should rather get rid of the pre-amp at some point. Simply use Mixmode RC3 and everything will be fine, since it's using a fixed pre-amp value.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

I reopened the request for further evaluation. While I agree with Jojo about using RC3 mixmode, there are nevertheless lots of modules that could benefit from storing the pre-amp value in the file (see http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2295.0).

LPChip

May I close the request then?

We have a lot of volume settings, amongst one that is stored in the song. The global volume. There are more volumes stored in the song. The sample volume, the vsti volume, etc, etc.

Storing yet another volume in the song is pointless imho. I totally agree with Jojo. We should NOT use the pre-amp value at all. Only one setting client side for the older mods.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Relabs just re-opened it, so he has his reasons. While I personally think that embedding the setting in the files is just a step backwards, I know that "something" has to be done about it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Instead of repeating that preamp should not be used(where already is an agreement), how about suggesting a better way to handle this. The fact is that there are modules whose correct playback depends on the preamp setting and that problem can't be solved just by ignoring it's existence.

Quote from: "Jojo"While I personally think that embedding the setting in the files is just a step backwards, I know that "something" has to be done about it.
Embedding the setting would be done just for the files that need it; no step backwards for new files which are still strongly encouraged to use latest mixmode.

jmkz

I agree with you Relabsoluness. That is my problem. On the other hand, I also think there are many volume settings.

LPChip

One way or the other, if you now add support for storing the pre-amp value, you will still get that these modules play wrong, because they originally weren't saved with this setting.

If you have to alter your song anyway, just change it to Mixmode 3, and it will most likely solve the problem. If not, then change the global volume or VSTi/Sample volume and that certainly will fix the issue.

I used the same thing to fix my old songs. Its a matter of seconds to fix your song, hit save, and its fixed forever. Really, there shouldn't be a need to store the pre-amp value.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

The pre-amp value is already stored when OMPT is closed.
Certainly saving as mix RC3 is a much better optimization, and then the pre-amp value is ignored.
In that case its slider should be greyed out anyway.

Quote from: "djmakas"some samples are too loud and others too quiet
So first adjust your samples to be as loud as possible. One can always use a volume code to make a specific sample less loud intentional.

Saga Musix

QuoteThe pre-amp value is already stored when OMPT is closed.
Of course it is stored. But this is not the point, because your pre-amp value is probably not the same as my pre-amp value, so modules may not sound equally loud on two different setups, or, when using VSTs, may sound completely wrong on the other setup. I have recently upgraded all my old modules to MixMode RC3 for "remastering", which is IMHO the best solution to prevent this problem, and using an old mixmode is not.

Sam_Zen

Well, you may be surprised, but I already agreed about this upgrading.

jmkz

I know, it's a year ago of this, but comes to my mind a feature of auto-preamp value. Something like render or analyse virtually the song and set the new gain, mmm what else, a checkbox in general options of Enable automatic preamp (which disables preamp slider) a notification of "This song has VST's, this may take more time to render. Do you want to continue?  or whatever needed for this. Well, as there is a compatible mode (added in r756) I want know what does this or his effects, some modules not set to Compatible mode. Here I think that is a kind of normalise the audio, I don't know.

Saga Musix

That is still a pretty bad concept since we have already said goodbye to the preamp slider for good. A better idea would be to let the tracker automatically adjust the global volume when clipping occurs, like Reonise does it.

jmkz

Quote from: Jojo on December 26, 2010, 10:56:23
That is still a pretty bad concept since we have already said goodbye to the preamp slider for good. A better idea would be to let the tracker automatically adjust the global volume when clipping occours, like Reonise does it.

What can I say? Perfect. I completely agree! +1

PS: XMPlay does the same function?

Saga Musix

QuotePS: XMPlay does the same function?
In one way or another, yes. But it does it while loading the module, which would be more like your idea (but of course the tune is not fully rendered during that time). That doesn't make much sense for a tracker, so I'd rather suggest some kind of on-the-fly optimization whenever clipping occurs.