[Unknown]Prelude to a Battle (.IT)

Started by game_over, December 04, 2009, 13:04:37

Previous topic - Next topic

game_over

Another song here. This one is even more of a "small and simple" thingy. One sample in the whole thing. No joke.

Why does it say "pan: 80" for channel 1, even though the initial pan is set to 128, and I never change it? I have no clue, but I use it somewhat here by setting ONE channel to surround and leaving others untouched.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yztixzzmndk

Any comments, constructive criticism, etc, I want it all. I want your feedback. :P

Edit by mod: Changed topic title conform template

Saga Musix

80 is hexadecimal, it's shown like that in the pattern view as the panning effect (X) also works in hexadecimal like all other effects.

About the track... Well, using the surround effect is an art, and I know that many do it wrong by putting too many or the wrong channels on surround. In your case, you put the bass melody on surround, which should be cenetered instead (as the human ear can't really spot from where a bass sound comes from). Apart from that... Well, it appears to be a beginner tune, not much is going on, no drums, very basic, no bells and whistles etc. :)
Keep it up!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

game_over

Well I had everything centered at first, but then I put the bass on surround and it seemed nicer to me.

Quote80 is hexadecimal
Ah yes. My mistake. So "surround" and "centered" does have a difference. Hmm.

QuoteApart from that... Well, it appears to be a beginner tune, not much is going on, no drums, very basic, no bells and whistles etc.
It is. I still think it sounds nice though, which is why I released it. I don't release anything unless I'm more or less satisfied with it.

Quoteno drums
Intentional. In retrospect, I don't really remember why, but it was intentional.
The other one does have drums. :wink:

Saga Musix

Panning and surround is a no-no. You cannot pan a sample and put it on surround at the same time, the two things contradict each other.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

game_over

Quote from: "Jojo"
Panning and surround is a no-no. You cannot pan a sample and put it on surround at the same time, the two things contradict each other.

I know. I put channel 2 on surround and at one spot I played around with it by playing one note on bass and lead repeatedly, switching channels each time. I thought that it works because everything is panned slightly to the left, and surround is centered, but no. Apparently, both are "centered", it's just the difference in the sound itself that made it work.

Sam_Zen

Not much to say about the musical content for now, but indeed, keep on trackin' .
The file could have been saved more efficiently by removing unused channels. There are only 5 active..

Saga Musix

Well Sam_Zen, the IT format is sure not like the old MOD or even XM format and it doesn't care if you have 1, 4, 64 or 1024 (which is actually not possible :)) channels if they're empty. Saving the file won't be more "efficient", since empty channels don't take up space.
Actually, IT files have as few channels as possible when saving them in OpenMPT, but some extension saves the real channel count, which is only known to OpenMPT. Other trackers would load this as a 4 channel IT file or so.

Sam_Zen

Thanks for making this clear, Jojo, so I consider my complaint as wrong, as far as file space is concerned.
Nevertheless, it takes screen space in OMPT.