VU-Meter for VSTi

Started by BooT-SectoR-ViruZ, November 05, 2007, 09:50:53

Previous topic - Next topic

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

would be really nice to have some vu-meter / volume monitoring for vsti as well.

would be even better to be able to set different colors for those vu-meters in the setup color-tab.

i hope this shouldn't be too muchg work...
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

bvanoudtshoorn

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Not sure if its technically possible, because this has been brought up years ago.

You can always use vst's that show you these VU's.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

it should be in the realm of possibility, coz the VSTi signal has to be sent *somewhere*, in this case to the tracker's buffer.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

anboi

i'd like to see a VU on the patterns tab before one for vstis (although that would be cool too!) it's definitely the most useful where it is though as the general tab is like the mixing desk.
a clipping indicator and some actual db values would be nice too... (i think things are leading this way maybe? the new mixmode goes some way)

bvanoudtshoorn

A while back I threw together a little VST that just shows VUs for an input signal. I'll try and get it up here as a stopgap if you like - personally, I don't use it, 'cos most of the VSTis that I use have VUs in them already.

It should definitely be possible to implement in MPT itself, though, 'cos the VUs on the "General" tab show VSTi signals already (and, unlike the channel ones, they actually show what's happening with the waveform, not just sample volume).

Saga Musix

One of the oldest requests... Time to fix it!
You can grab r7319 or later from https://buildbot.openmpt.org/ as soon as it's up (within the next few hours).
So far this uses the same colours for plugins as it does for samples, but I like the idea of being able to assign different colours, so that will be considered for the future.
Please let me know if you see VU meters popping up on channels where they shouldn't, because that's one of the reasons why I postponed fixing this issue for years. But with the current code, it no longer seems to happen.

Saga Musix

Starting from r7327 (1.27.00.19), You can set custom VU meter colours for plugins. Please test it and let me know if you find anything dodgy, like sample channels suddenly showing wrong colours or vice versa.

StarWolf3000

I tested some things with the VSTi VU meters, and this is quite interesting.

Testing environment:
- Windows 7 Pro x64
- OpenMPT 1.27.00.25 r7451 (latest build from 2016-12-08 02:48)
- Sample used: see attachment
- VSTi used: Synth1 v1.13 beta3 (32-bit)
- Synth1 preset package: sagamusix Colors of Synth1 / MIDI program: 93 (Soft But Fat)

The VU meters for sampled instruments behave like expected:

And the VST VU meters do as they should:

But mixing sampled and VSTi in one instrument prefers the VU meters for samples:

Saga Musix

Yes, that is fully intentional because
1) Mixing samples and plugins in one instrument is very bad (since a mixture of engine behaviours will occur)
2) There really is no other way without heavily modifying the engine with the single gain of doing... exactly what? Showing a mixture between the two colours?

StarWolf3000

So is it then possible to actually prevent the assignment of samples, if the loaded VST is of the instrument type? It looks like the current instrument editor does not differ between VST effect plugins and instrument plugins. Just for the case that mixing samples and VST instruments in one instrument is not intended.

Saga Musix

I'm not sure I understand the question. When you load an instrument plugin, a sample-less instrument is automatically created for it, and if you assign an instrument plugin to an existing sample-based instrument, it will offer to remove the sample associations automatically. If you retroactively want to remove sample assignments, right-click the sample map and choose "Remove all samples".

Exhale

Wow, thanks for putting this into the next build, I already posted my support for it and am now feeling like it will be a new years present. Will be a great addition to the visualization of each channel and track.