Main Menu

Tag Lack

Started by Sam_Zen, February 13, 2006, 01:15:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

With a tracker module it's quite clear : You have a filename, you have a title edited in the general tab, and the extra data in the comments tab, which most of the players will show also.
With mp3-files it's a different thing. Maybe I'm an oldfashioned geezer in this, but I don't like the common use of very long filenames, mentioning author plus the complete songtitle (with often, even worse, spaces or dots in it).

This is not necessary, if one takes in consideration to finish the piece by also filling in the ID3-tags of an Mp3.
It's the obvious place to write the songtitle, author, album, year, comments, etc. And players will show this.

To whom it concerns, a link to a free editor can be found at AnalogX : TagMaster

Snu

i prefer to put the full artist name and title in the file name, and im quite picky about it (particularly with my songs, but also with the mp3s i have).

for one, its REALLY hard to find the right song when you are looking through a dir of 200 files or something, and all of them have 8 character file names like 'HTA-THEU'.
also, what the heck is wrong with long file names? or spaces or dots?
why would i NOT make the filename a good reflection of the artists and song titles?  the only reason those limitations were there in the first place was due to limitations in the operating systems.
personally, i have a pet peeve of people who DONT use decent file names... especially using underscores instead of spaces -_-

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Snu"for one, its REALLY hard to find the right song when you are looking through a dir of 200 files or something

Whoa, you only have 200 MP3s? Damn, I have 4000.

Quoteespecially using underscores instead of spaces -_-

Maybe those people are using Windows 3.1, and can't have spaces in the filenames :)

Even when I'm running Linux, I have spaces in filenames, so there's really no excuse
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

Interesting. Quite different approaching showing up here.
3.11 was probably the worst of them all. So not relevant here to me. But watch the spaces in url's, they often get written as "%20", which shows a confusion i.m.o.
I would never categorize 2000 files into one directory, but always divide this into subdirs of authors or style, with maybe only some ten's of files in it.
A matter of taste and priority of survey I suppose.

Snu

i wasnt saying that was actually how my mp3 collection IS, im saying how it ISNT.  as i said, i am rather picky about file names of my mp3 files.
also, actually, i have 5552 mp3/ogg files (id have a LOT more if i had broadband, but oh well), organized by artist and album, but if i only have a couple tracks by an artist, they go in a general folder (like my instrumental dir has 240mp3s in it).

as for the %20 in urls, so?
any decent program that downloads the files will convert those back to spaces.

as for windows 3.11, its better than win95 and winme in my opinion... more stable anyway :)

cyperkid

[offtopic]
for me the 8 character-names were quite a challenge, and somehow they're still...
it meant to get all information into this code, even by finding a reasonable and fitting name.
[/offtopic]

i don't feel comfortable with ultra-long filenames, too. (additional) information (appreciated by myself too) shouldn't be placed there...
first of all folder/file structure needs clarity (though everybody probably defines it in a different way). in my experience such long file-names lack this clarity and aren't handy just by the fact that i have to change the windows-size (or the row size in my wincmdr) just to read them...
commodore stole my childhood

LPChip

You are able to see the author if you use detailed view in the explorer. But I usually also provide the artistname in the filename, except for spaces.

I usually do something like: LPChip-MySongWithSomeTitle.mp3
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

My songs are like "*I Dream In Chip*" is called "SquirrelHavoc-Chip.mp3", it gives the artist, song title of the original mod, and gives me an idea of what it is, even without the super long filename.

On the other hand, I have one called "shia.mp3", and I know the sh stands for squirrel havoc, but I have no idea what the ia stands for, and I lost the original mod  ::)
-

cyperkid

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"On the other hand, I have one called "shia.mp3", and I know the sh stands for squirrel havoc, but I have no idea what the ia stands for, and I lost the original mod  ::)

just make a competition out of it, best proposal wins   :wink:
commodore stole my childhood

Squirrel Havoc

Invisable Atmosphere! I just remembered, it was my ususal ambient jazzy stuff, about 8 patterns worth.
-

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Snu"as for the %20 in urls, so?
I wouldn't call this conversion, but correcting an error for the convenience of the user. On a Unix-level there are just some characters that shouldn't be used in a filename. An correct alternative for a space would be the underline "_", because in a link, as being underlined in total, it would read as a space.

Quote from: "cyperkid"for me the 8 character-names were quite a challenge, and somehow they're still...
it meant to get all information into this code, even by finding a reasonable and fitting name.
I don't think this is off-topic at all, maybe on the contrary, it's the essence of giving filenames. Ok, I'm not that strict about 8 characters nowadays, but I always try to make it as short as possible, without loosing survey.

2 Squirrel Havoc
Too short.. I made those mistakes in the past too. In this case sh_invatm.mp3 would have been sufficient.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Quote from: "Snu"as for the %20 in urls, so?
I wouldn't call this conversion, but correcting an error for the convenience of the user. On a Unix-level there are just some characters that shouldn't be used in a filename.

True, but remember, the webserver converts those spaces on upload, and those webservers are usually unix
-