And out of the ashes....

Started by uncloned, November 04, 2009, 14:20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

g

From a user perspective, I really like phpBB. It's the norm, and anything not it makes me feel awkwardly out of place.

uncloned

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "uncloned"?

at the bottom of this webpage I see

"Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group"

Yes, it does. This was from before I knew the power of SMF. Now that I do know the power, the new website will no longer use phpBB as forumsoftware, but SMF instead.

Ok I understand - was a bit confused.

Perhaps SMF is better. The phpBB is likely to be temporary.

Saga Musix

From the user's perspective, there's not really a difference, we at least when it comes to handling. When it comes to features, SMF is still better and I especially don't look phpBB3's look and feel. I definitely wouldn't say that phpBB is a "norm" or anything. Maybe it was. Nowadays, 6 of the forums that I visit regularily are SMF, 2 are phpBB. Now what's the norm again?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: "Jojo"Now what's the norm again?
I apologize for offending your forum software of choice, of course I can't argue with such hard evidence.

Anyway, here's a Comparison of Internet forum software (PHP) at Wikipedia

Saga Musix

Now tell me, what does that have to do with my choice of software?! Do you really think I only visit forums because the run SMF or what?!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "Jojo"phpBB sucks, that's how much I can say about it. And yay, RC2 of SMF Forum has been released! \o/

I do not think you can present any rationale to back up your statement. Some weeks ago I have researched the forums state and I can tell you today phpBB is a good choice both from the point of view of community support and reliability (and security too).

g

Quote from: "Jojo"Now tell me, what does that have to do with my choice of software?! Do you really think I only visit forums because the run SMF or what?!
I don't really see the point of this discussion, but since you ask... No, I don't think you visit forums based on what software they run on, then you obviously wouldn't be here. Right? You probably visit them because of the people there and the topics discussed.

Does everything have to be white or black? I've already apologized for claiming that phpBB was the norm, you presented very convincing statistics proving that SMF has three times the installations of phpBB. :)

uncloned

after some minimal level of useability I think the content

words
art
music
etc

is what makes people visit.

on the other hand these boards issues are extremely important for the people hosting the content.

But - this is all obvious?

Saga Musix

QuoteI do not think you can present any rationale to back up your statement. Some weeks ago I have researched the forums state and I can tell you today phpBB is a good choice both from the point of view of community support and reliability (and security too).
SMF's package management (which exists in other forum software too of course, but I guess phpBB STILL has this old "do it yourself crap) is simply superb when it comes to modifying a forum. as LPChip mentioned, even if you are upgrading your forum, the old mods still stay intact. Also, the administration part is very easy and well categorized, phpBB and Burning Board for example are much worse here...

I wonder who of us has set up the most forum systems so far and can really judge about this - because I have done it a couple of times, and it was not only SMF systems.

Anyway, back on topic...
uncloned: maybe clarify the "etc". A site that "has everything" is almost never a good site, because you simply can't offer a site that is there "for everyone". Is the etc. "a nice community"? A creative area? A release corner where everyone can put in stuff?

uncloned

music, static visual arts (pictures, scans of sculpture, paintings) videos, multimedia, words.