Treeless mode

Started by Sam_Zen, February 12, 2006, 00:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Quite right about the configuration screen. This gave me a lot of info about the situation.
(apart from the fact, that the beta version every time starts up with this screen on forehand)
It appears that there is more to it here, than just the treeview. There are also confusing things happening with the set of subdirectories, like 'songs' or 'instruments', plus, even more important, the 'default.mkb' file.

Situation : I have the RC2 version in its own directory, with its own 'default.mkb' file, and its own subdir 'songs' etc. The same is valid for the RC2 beta version. Own directory, with own kb-file, own subdirs.
In both the apps the config screen has taken over the path to 'default.mkb' and the subdirs, saved in last session of any of the two versions. So if I have set in the regular RC2 ver, the path to "D:/RC2/default.mkb", then close it, and then open RC2beta, its config screen will point to the latest path : "D:/RC2/default.mkb" instead of, what should be, the path "D:/RC2beta/default.mkb". The same with the song-subdir.
So far, this only emphasizes my disgust against the registry.

Indeed. That gives us the cause of this problem, and a possible solution to solve it aswell.

Cause: Settings are being reset to default ones each time a different version is being loaded of the tracker. As result, the treeview pops up.

Solution: Settings should be saved in an .ini file instead of the registry for each version of modplug. This will make mpt portable too (eg. after clean windows install, it will load mpt as if it was never gone.)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Yeah .. Long live the ini-file !
As a matter of fact, every version already has a "mptrack.ini" in its root, but it contains just a list of chord-values, soundfontbank, macros and possible VST plugins. Nothing is done there with other configuration-data.
I thought about the sticky bug report thread, but I noticed, that you added already the developments about this.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Yeah .. Long live the ini-file !
As a matter of fact, every version already has a "mptrack.ini" in its root, but it contains just a list of chord-values, soundfontbank, macros and possible VST plugins. Nothing is done there with other configuration-data.
I thought about the sticky bug report thread, but I noticed, that you added already the developments about this.

;) ofcource. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Go To "View", "Toolbars", and disable "Tree" :)
Eat... Its good for you.

Sam_Zen

2 Dj Cruk CHIKIN
Hey, thanks, didn't I know that ? :)