1.17.03.02 Illegal Note Stops

Started by Harbinger, October 22, 2009, 17:03:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.3.02

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): don't think so...

Description of the bug: I see keyboard entry for Note Cut has been disabled for XM and Note Off for S3M. While my shortcut key for Note Cut or Note Fade will not call it in an XM track, i can still paste these into XM from an IT track and it works like normal. In S3M i can paste it in, but Note Off and Note Fade are ignored (which is acceptable).

If the goal is to keep XM and S3m in their unhacked state, then note stop messages should be converted when pasting from the clipboard. OR allow them to be pasted, but remind users that Compatibility Export will convert these note stop messages to those acceptable to the format.

How often does it happen?: Always.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Open an IT track, and create a new XM or S3M track.
Find or create some events in the IT file that include Note Off (==), Note Cut (^^), and Note Fade (~~) messages. Select them and copy them to the clipboard.
Paste them into a channel in the XM or S3M pattern editors. They will definitely be pasted, even though their key entries will not input them into the track, depending on what track format they are.
Playback will show the XM still processes Note Cut and Note Fade as normal. In the S3M file Note OFF and Note Fade are ignored (probably because these are instrument functions).

Saga Musix

Actually, you reminded me of the reason why I shuffled around some sourcecode recently. This should be easily fixable now. Pasting should also convert volume column commands into effect column commands (if possible) for MOD files then. Any many other things... :)

QuoteIf the goal is to keep XM and S3m in their unhacked state, then note stop messages should be converted when pasting from the clipboard. OR allow them to be pasted, but remind users that Compatibility Export will convert these note stop messages to those acceptable to the format.
They won't be saved anyway, so the files won't contain any "hacks". Concerning note-off events, that is.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Please confirm that this has been fixed in OpenMPT 1.18 release candidate. You can set the thread status to S=C yourself then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.