[ambient] break it broken (mp3)

Started by uncloned, October 20, 2009, 18:40:54

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

My son told me about this program:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/9viu3/opensource_extreme_timestretching_application/

which can stretch music to incredible lengths - I believe up to year lengths are possible.

This has been a subject between us since he told me about the Beethoven symphony stretched to 24 hrs. Most software doesn't do a good job at such extreme stretches - however Paulstretch is the ticket.

As a first go at this I took my song "Break it Down" which is about 5 minutes long and stretched it to 1 hour and 3 minutes in length.

I think it sounds interesting - something to have on in the background while doing other things. All of the textures are expanded - the drums become waves crashing on a rocky shore. The music obtains tremendous depth.

on line play (low quality mp3)

http://www.traxinspace.com/song/44883

download (low quality) 38 megabyte mp3

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/break-it-broken-60min.mp3

download high quality ogg file (which will stream in the latest version of Firefox - a very nice feature.)

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/break-it-broken-60min.ogg

as an aside:

I have a private music email list and I'm considering reducing the number of posts here and to other sites. If you'd like to join the list please PM me. It will feature my music and the music of others that I find interesting and wish to share. Thanks,  Chris

Sam_Zen

Thanks for the tip, Clones ! Looks very interesting.

I think using existing work, which takes some minutes, than stretched to hours, is one side of the approach.
If I like this app, I will shift this approach to another field too, and will try to make a complete piece of some minutes
from a very short sound sample.

Listening, and zapping the ogg one : very impressive result !

uncloned

It is a very impressive program!

The path I wanted to go with this was composing a tune specifically with the end result through this program in mind.

Sam_Zen

Very right, I entered into the same idea I think :
Knowing the consequences, composing a piece as a short instance containing sounds in a quick order for example.

Still, quite some settings, like the algoritms and the harmonic sliders, have to be tested.
The quality of the rendered result is excellent, even at 16 bit.

Edit : My thanks to your son !

Sam_Zen

Last night I've done some experiments with PaulStretch and the results are beautiful.
I've tried different styles of sound material, e.g. a short song with percussion, and telephone voices.
I used a sample of 9 secs, and wanted to see the maximum stretch :

OT - I'm not into VST things, but the same author, Nasca Octavian Paul, also made quite a complicated soft synth :
ZynAddSubFX

uncloned

and that VSTi is microtonal and free!!!!! awesome!!!

I hope 285 years is enough to satify LV's slow club.

I am waiting for you to share something!

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"OT - I'm not into VST things, but the same author, Nasca Octavian Paul, also made quite a complicated soft synth :
ZynAddSubFX
I love this synth, but it kinda crashy on windows machines. Those with Linux or whatever can use it to full potential tho. Lucky bastards :D

Louigi Verona

Yeah, this is a great piece of software judging from track by Chris, but I can't compile it under Linux yet. Contacted the developer...

uncloned

WINE *might* work for now while you are waiting for the reply.

I was able to get Csound to work under WINE. It was a bit kludgy but you can't argue with success.

jikoo

Clones, Beautiful tune ! I listened to all at work. Excellent ! This software is realling interesting too ! Thank you.
Woolyss Tracking | Woolyss Chipmusic

[color=#F0F0F0].[/color]

Saga Musix

Very interesting track. One could think that this not a stretched-to-death tune at some points, mostly because of the great harmonics. I've heard of Paulstretch before but never got around really trying it out myself. I guess it would be the perfect tool for RWP... ::)

By the way, while we're at enlisting stuff Paul has done... Paul's Sound Designer is one of the coolest synths I've ever seen, but it's for DOS (not a plugin). It comes with some really nice sounds and I have almost only used sounds I generated from it for my track "HardTech".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

I think it's also worth noting that anything noteworthy will pop up on reddit sooner or later (usually sooner and later).

Saga Musix

So is your note about things that are noteworthy also worth being noted on reddit? :D :nuts:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: "Jojo"So is your note about things that are noteworthy also worth being noted on reddit? :D :nuts:
Absolutely! Honestly tho, it probably wouldn't get any upvotes. So the answer is no.

uncloned

Quote from: "jikoo"Clones, Beautiful tune ! I listened to all at work. Excellent ! This software is realling interesting too ! Thank you.

Thanks Jikoo

It is instructive to listen to other people's song through this. It makes the harmonic relationships crystal clear.