3rd party Instrument Editors?

Started by Bubblenugget, February 09, 2006, 03:11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubblenugget

Does anyone know of a nice freeware instrument editor?  I'm mostly interested in an easier method of creating drumsets and such.  After hours of searching all I could find was Awave, which I strongly believe is NOT worth $130.

I understand that there are a few good Soundfont editors, but I think that they are just as much a pain to use.  Not to mention, they don't seem to like me having 2 soundcards.

Bubblenugget

Come to think of it, any thoughts on adding a drag'n'drop interface for the MPT sample map?

Squirrel Havoc

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the instrument. If Im not using stereo samples, and just want a quick way to map them to an instrument, I use FTII or Skale, since the MPT interface takes more time I think. Have you thought of using other trackers for instrument editiing, and then using them in MPT?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"I guess it depends on what you want to do with the instrument. If Im not using stereo samples, and just want a quick way to map them to an instrument, I use FTII or Skale, since the MPT interface takes more time I think. Have you thought of using other trackers for instrument editiing, and then using them in MPT?

I disagree. But then again, it is only since recently that I know this alternate way to quickly enter the right notes.

I used to open that editor, select a sample, then press the keys I wanted to assign. Now, I click on the grid that shows how its currently is mapped, and type the right numbers/notes in there. Its easy, fast, and very flexible. Maybe even better than FT2 or skale?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Eat... Its good for you.

Bubblenugget

I actually haven't tried using other trackers for instrument creation.  I think the main issue is being able to audition a sample, and then drag it in.  Programming the sample map isn't too bad, especially now that you can audition the sample as you enter the numbers.  I just hate being nagged about whether I wan't to make a new instrument everytime I load the samples.

As for Dj Cruk CHIKIN's reply, Soundforge?  How do you mean?  I've been using it for a while and I've never seen any instrument creation capabilities.

Sam_Zen

I think, since the introduction of the 'instrument' concept, this is one of the main confusions in the beginning for users. Importing samples, but then not using them in the final score, but only as assigned 'instruments'.